My Vertical Log Splitter with Table and Log Lift

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's an I beam really. It is 5 1/4" wide, 8 1/4" tall. web is 3/8" thick and flanges are 7/16". I should have around 20-22 tons of pressure with my set-up. I'm looking for more speed than beef . IMO if you know how to split wood anything over 22 tons is probably over kill.
iv got a 20 ton iron and oak and ive never had a problem splitting anything

For you guys that have built and used these types of splitters; have you given any thought to the value of a boom type log lift with a winch on it rather than the flipper style? I'm trying to think ahead and it seems like it might be easier to just pull the cable and grapple to a round that's anywhere within say a 20' semi-circle rather than having to roll it to the flipper. Maybe I'm just getting lazy?

Oh and I was also wondering why I don't see any alternate hydraulic controls like foot operated or even knee operated like some muffler shop tubing benders?

After much thought i built a vertical table wood splitter. I used the splitting ram to provide the force for the log lift.
When the lift reaches just above horizontal a leg swings down a holds the lift horizontal. I designed it to split 1 m rounds and have split 1.3m rounds cut to 300m long. When on flat ground it is easy to pull the splitter down the length of trunks with lift on trunk side. I found the rounds to be quite manageable to get on the lift.
The control for ram mounted just below table. Push towards table to retract ram, which is often hip operated and indented. Pull away from the table and the ram lengthens. I did it this way for safety. I thought it would be safer than the leg operated option. The foot option seemed a little dangerous when on uneven ground.
mr Anderson

Latest posts

Back