My wood shed

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WoodchuckPaddy

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Thought I would share some pics of my wood shed.

This is what I used:

6-6x6 PT posts, buried about 24” in the ground. No concrete.

2- Double 2x8x20’ beams front and back.

12-2x6x10’ rafters, notched and nailed to beams, no clips

1x3 furring strip, space to shingle exposure.

#2 white cedar shingles, spaced about 6” to the weather.

This is how I did it:

I set up batter boards and strings to get square and level. The overall size of the post spacing was 18’-6” by 7’-8”. I made sure the posts were in place and nice and plumb and then I temporarily cross braced and then back filled. I left the posts long when sinking them and then measured up from the string to get finished height, about 8’ in the front and 6’ in the back. I then notched them to accept the double beam which I through bolted to the posts. The beam was a full 20’ (no waste) and I wanted a decent overhang.

Next, I notched the rafters and nailed them to the beams. The spacing was not modular, just equally spaced at about 20”.

Next went the furring strips.

Then the wood shingles. I considered metal, but the shingles were less spendy and I like the look.

Knee braces were added last.

It is pretty stable, but you can shake it a bit. After the soil around the posts settle in, it should firm up a bit.

It holds about 8 Cords, enough for the winter.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

:newbie:

Nice, I need to get one up soon. I wouldn't have guessed shakes would have been cheaper than metal roofing, I like the look a lot better, will have to check on that.

Nice, I need to get one up soon. I wouldn't have guessed shakes would have been cheaper than metal roofing, I like the look a lot better, will have to check on that.

Considerably, but it took longer to install them.
I initially thought about using metal.

That is a nice shed. Not to mention the stacked wood that is all the same length. Nice neat set up you have there. Rep sent.

wow. Super attention to detail there. Notches in posts and racking supports look great, angled rafters and headers for the little touch there...nice job man!

Couldn't help by notice the wood pile itself - man, neatly stacked for optimal seasoning, each piece looks like it came from a mold! wow.

Super nice work, very impressive and great attention to detail.

Be proud!

wow. Super attention to detail there. Notches in posts and racking supports look great, angled rafters and headers for the little touch there...nice job man!

Couldn't help by notice the wood pile itself - man, neatly stacked for optimal seasoning, each piece looks like it came from a mold! wow.

Super nice work, very impressive and great attention to detail.

Be proud!

Yeah, I got a problem.......

I figure I have to look at it every single day out of my the back of my house so it better look decent.

:cheers:

Nice job. Take a pic in the summer, when you have plants hanging from those hooks.

Nice job. Take a pic in the summer, when you have plants hanging from those hooks.

Thanks.

I took that last winter (obvious to you, as you are a Nutmeger as well...)

I need some more sunlight back where the shed is, but is sure looks purdy packed with wood and plants hanging on it during the summer months.

Looks like some heavy duty construction. Good access from several directions so you can fill one side while pulling from the other.

Normally only keep a couple of cord in mine but could fit in some more if I stacked as nice as you do. I cut a whole lot more wood, but I always end up with the scraps in my shed.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Looks like some heavy duty construction. Good access from several directions so you can fill one side while pulling from the other.

Normally only keep a couple of cord in mine but could fit in some more if I stacked as nice as you do. I cut a whole lot more wood, but I always end up with the scraps in my shed.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

The nice thing about yours is you have room to stack the wood with space between the ricks of wood. When I stack mine with green wood, it really doesn't have a chance to season as well as it should because there isn't any air circulation. Ideally, (and I think I've finally caught up... ) the wood should be cut and split, spend a year not under the shed seasoning and then stacked in the shed the next year to keep rain and snow off...

:cheers:

Wow! Around here that would be upper end home construction. Nice shed, nise work.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back