My woodhauling Sub is down

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

david78

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I know we've got some good mechanics on here, so here's my problem: I have a 1996 K2500 Suburban, 5.7, 136,000 miles, automatic. It had been running great, but quit on the way home a couple nights ago, just like turning off the key. I have spark but no fuel. I had to have it hauled home. To add insult to injury, the guy driving the rollback backed into a tree limb while turning around and busted out the back glass. So now I have a three ton lawn ornament that leaks. :angry: Anyway, I couldn't hear the fuel pump run when I turned the key. I put in a new fuel pump relay and changed the filter and now when I turn the key on I can hear the pump running but still no fuel spraying into the TBI. It will start when I pour gas into the TBI, but quits as soon as that fuel is gone. I had replaced the fuel pump a couple years ago. This is my building material/wood/coal hauler so I really need to get it running. Any ideas?

Mid 90's chevy's are notorious fuel pump eaters, and a lot of the aftermarket pumps would only last about a year. Disconnect fuel line on the tank side of the fuel filter, then turn key on for a couple of seconds to see if you have fuel to that point.

Also, sometimes the pickup tube/strainer on the bottom of the pump will crack and not pick up fuel, but that is usually only if it is below 1/8 tank full.

Last edited:
That's why HE has to have insurance. Make sure that he uses it.

+1 ... that to me would've been "Well, bring it to your shop, park it inside, get the glass repaired on your dime / insurance, then bring it back. Any damage to the interior from water or road grime that blows in you guys own too."

Although I fear by "guy who ran the rollback" he might be talking about his brother in law doing a favor...

The tow co. will cover the window if you make them, many trucks will put "NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR VEHICLES IN TOW". Don't let this throw you off, they are responsible. I had a Suburban with the two back doors instead of a tail gate. The glass is tinted and expensive and hard to find at a bone yard.
Put a piece of cardboard or something under the truck and get the fuel pump going.See if any fuel has leaked, If not you have a clog somewhere, in line filter or line before filter. When you replaced the pump did you clean the tank out? It would really stink to have to remove the fuel tank because the screen is clogged.

I used to work with the guy driving the truck. He helps out his son who actually owns the truck and body shop, and I've known him since he was a kid. No worries on getting the glass replaced; just a nuisance. I did put a new filter on and I know I'm getting fuel as far as the fuel rail. I did clean the tank when I replaced the pump last time; who knows what kind of crud has been in the gas since. No sign of any leaks in lines anywhere. I never let it get below half a tank. Too painful on the wallet filling it up all at once.

Chech the pressure at the rail, sometimes you have fuel but not enough pressure, good time to clean the rails too.

A TBI motor has rails?

I have a 2000 GMC pick-up that is doing the same thing,I've put at least 5 fuel pumps in this stupid truck.

I had a 97 silverado and you could set your clock to it eating O'reilly's pumps :) every 3 months. i got to the point i didn't put all the bed bolts back in because i knew they'd be coming back out. Finally bought a used sender and pump and tank from a salvage yard and it fixed the problem. Dont' know which part of it was having problems and still don't care, but I'll bet it was the pump ;)

You have to have 33 pounds of pressure to START the motor, 17 to keep it running. So the pump can run and your still ####ed. Put a new pump in it and don't waste money on the rest of it. :)

most gms have a fuel system test port on the pressure line close to the intake manifold you can do a pressure and volumn test there if you have at least 35psi and a pint volumn in 30 seconds the next thing would be to remove the 2 injectors and check the very fine mesh screen on the inlet orfice of the injectors . i have had good luck just cleaning them before replacement is needed good luck jk ps there is also a noid lite tester avail to see if you have an electric sig to the injectors ,plugs into the inj harness and will give a flashing lite if drivers are working

this is a common problem yes, now if you use aftermarket parts always remember that you get what you pay for...(cheaper is not always better ) and yes if the pump is bad it can run at (say 20psi) and truck will still not run, due to needing 60psi...

also you might try checking the fuel pressure regulator its mounted in the return line going back to the gas tank has a vacuum hose from the manifold if it fails you wont have enuf pressure because it will dump it all back to the tank on a good reg if you un hook the vac line pressure will go up because the reg will close and not return any fuel to the tank ,the most common failure is the diaphram perforates ,best indicator is gas smell/dripping from disconnected vac hose jk

I'm going to get a gauge so I can check that pressure. If I have to put a pump in, I'm cutting an access hatch in the floor:chainsaw: My Nissan car has one under the back seat; I can change the pump in it in about 45 minutes, without having to lay on the ground, drain the tank, all that good stuff.

That's the weird thing about all this; the truck was running perfect right up to the second it quit. I had driven about 100 miles, pulling a trailer, up and down hills; never even a hesitation. Can't remember ever having one die without warning like that.

Maybe you can have these three help you keep your truck running.

BELLEVUE, Wash. -- An open gas container and a Jerry-rigged system of putting gas into the car while driving is the root cause of the explosion that left two men and a woman burned in Bellevue Wednesday afternoon, Bellevue police said Thursday.

- View photos of fire scene

The woman told investigators Thursday they were having trouble keeping their Ford Econoline van running, so they went to a Factoria gas station to get gas. They didn't have a gas can, instead filling an open bucket with two gallons of gas.

Police say the three had removed the engine cowling between the two front seats of the van and used a water bottle to transfer gas from the bucket directly into the carburetor in order to keep the engine running as they drove east on Kamber Road, said police spokeswoman Carla Iafrate.

By now, the van was full of gas fumes, Iafrate said, and the van stalled again just before 145th Place SE. As they tried to restart it, the van exploded.

The van became fully engulfed in flames and began to roll backwards.

"The whole van... was engulfed in red flames," said witness Julie Sarchet. "The people were saying, 'Honey, I love you! Are you OK? Stay calm.' "

Other witnesses told police the woman jumped out the back of the van and fell to the ground on fire, and the van rolled over her leg. The two men jumped out in flames and ran toward the Chevron station on the corner desperate to get their fires out. One man made it into the gas station and tried to douse himself with water.

Firefighters were able to get the van fire out within minutes and medics took the three victims to Harborview Medical Center. They are still there Thursday but their conditions are not known. Wednesday, police said two were seriously burned and third suffered minor burns.

Iafrate said the three victims were all from Bellevue but did not release their identities.

fuel pressure specs is 60-66 psi key on engine off according to autozone for a 96 suburban, it should be sfi and not thottle body injected, injectors that had poppet valves wich looks like yours does, required 55 psi or more to open and run the engine.
testing injector pulse and checking for trouble codes out of the computer would probably be the next things to check if fuel pressure is ok.

Latest posts

Back