My woodtruck mods

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NCPT

Love my saws
Reaction score
Built up the sides on my truck. Built in a storage area for two saws, fuel, oil, and small tool box.

Dimensions are 92"L × 35"H × 67"W. Firewood calculator puts me at one cord when fully loaded.

The storage box takes up a little space but I put a piece of plywood up above it to get some of it back. Truck is a 1988 f350, fuel injected 460 v8, manual 5 speed, 4:10 gears, 4×4 and dual rear wheels. 20190205_162117.jpg 20190205_161453.jpg

I filled it up with what was left of this white oak trunk. I cut it and split it Saturday. I could only get 6' of the trunk but it filled up the truck box. That's an ms440 with 25" bar in the trunk!
View attachment 712988
That's a monster!

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

Very nice, is it dump also ?
I've been doing the same thing the last few months on a 96 model with the exact same options as yours. Hope you dont mind me adding a pic.
167e6fd8919dfd4e6690bc6e26e6a97b.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I would be looking for a new home for that saw box it is in some very prime rel-estate and a vice off the back corner

nice , we don't see trucks like that around here , all of ours rusted out years ago , original cab corners on any 1980 or 90 ford are completely un-heard of here.

maybe a nice step that fit in the receiver hitch to make getting in and out of the back

I used to run a 1985 F350 dually with the 460 back in the 90s had a 10 foot flat bed we would put stack the rounds on end and put a strap around the outside hook it to a tree near the splitting area pull forward and all the wood went out the back only had to load almost dump unload

Nice Fords gentlemen. I agree with trapper Pete, that box looks like it's in the way to me, unless you can remove it very easily with no tools. Someday you're gonna want to have a pallet of something loaded in the bed and that's gonna be problematic.

Very nice, is it dump also ?
I've been doing the same thing the last few months on a 96 model with the exact same options as yours. Hope you dont mind me adding a pic.
167e6fd8919dfd4e6690bc6e26e6a97b.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
No problem adding to the thread. I dont have a dump but that is a sweet truck. Hope to upgrade to something similar after I get some use out of this truck.

Nice Fords gentlemen. I agree with trapper Pete, that box looks like it's in the way to me, unless you can remove it very easily with no tools. Someday you're gonna want to have a pallet of something loaded in the bed and that's gonna be problematic.
Everything was built somewhat modular so I can remove the panels in large pieces. Once the main wood gathering is over, I'll take the panels out.

Don't need mudflaps out there? Running like that around here would be ticketed pretty quickly.

I have a 90 that looks like that. F-Super Duty with a 12ft bed.
The other Ferd I have is a 97 F-Super Duty with 14ft bed.

Both diesels. The 90 is in real nice shape, only has around 55,000 miles on it. Underneath still has the factory paint on the frame, axles, etc.
Body is pretty decent too, though it's been painted many times. The outfit that had it before me would pull in their trucks during breakup and re-paint them every year or two.

Very cool truck. Is the fuel injection aftermarket?

I would have put that box in the very front, accessed through the side. Or maybe even on top at the front, with a step hung under the front of the bed to get up there. Or maybe even just two permanent scabbards mounted off the sides. But run with what you got. Maybe it'll be great and we'll all be copying you in two years!

Don't need mudflaps out there? Running like that around here would be ticketed pretty quickly.
Yep, those are on the short list too.

Very cool truck. Is the fuel injection aftermarket?

I would have put that box in the very front, accessed through the side. Or maybe even on top at the front, with a step hung under the front of the bed to get up there. Or maybe even just two permanent scabbards mounted off the sides. But run with what you got. Maybe it'll be great and we'll all be copying you in two years!
I think this was the first year for FI in these trucks.

All the plywood comes out with screws, the hardest part will be finding somewhere to store it when I'm not gathering wood. I put the storage box there cause that was the easiest spot to access it and most of the wood goes to the front towards the cab. I'll post a pic of it loaded down this weekend.

I made some racks for my truck, turned out pretty decent. I feel it holds a little over 2 face.

1zu4iq.jpg

r9pmid.jpg

This is an optical illusion, the rack is square to the truck, the head ache rack follows the contour of the truck.

vzy2jc.jpg

amqct3.jpg

mine is a combo ladder rack side boards , unfortunately only an f150 but the price was right 6'6" bed and no point in any longer it is squatting bad in this picture

this was yesterday morning I stopped to check my load before pulling onto the county road , I was about 45 all the way home but it is only 7 miles from the farm.
I plan to put scabbards on each side right behind the cab , I just need to get around to building them

the saw horse has a vice and a nice spot to gas/oil saws had been leaving it at the farm but decided to haul it home this time I can't cut the next 2 weekends,truck load.JPG

Latest posts

Back