My woodtruck mods

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the f150 is only good for a half cord at a time be it split or un split , it is running out of springs.

My ranger is maxed out at 2700 LBS. Surely a 150 can handle 4500 LBS. Even my C 60 has added leafs to 30,000 LBS. Just go to the wrecking yard and buy another set of 150 springs with an extra center bolt. It can be done in under a day. The ride could be a little harsher, but not much. Thanks

what would be really cool with those high flat beds would be if the tail gate was fold down stairs
My ranger is maxed out at 2700 LBS. Surely a 150 can handle 4500 LBS. Even my C 60 has added leafs to 30,000 LBS. Just go to the wrecking yard and buy another set of 150 springs with an extra center bolt. It can be done in under a day. The ride could be a little harsher, but not much. Thanks

I could maybe add leafs , but I don't need to stack it much higher. it is already almost cab high 2/3 of the way back.
also probably getting near a ton on a 1/2 ton truck
if I do it as all splits tossed on and not rounds it is mounded over the cab and about 2/3 of the way back then sloping down to the tail gate.

it already chatters sideways down the road when empty on the ruff patches on the the state highway

and the next issue is if it wasn't for the rubber mat you would see the holes in the bed have to be careful not to let the drivers door open too fast it is rusted thin where the lower hinge mounts

I got it for a good price and I am not trying to make it cost any more just get me around for a few more years right now it is 250K miles I should have 30K left on these tires I would like to see 280 maybe 300k and then it I will probably have to say good bye.

this isn't a dedicated firewood truck this is my daily driver

7-8 trips 7 miles and back fills my wood needs for the year and I have a trailer also if I want to make fewer loads

unfortunately everything on the road rusts out here a 2000 is an old vehicle to see on the road .

the f150 is only good for a half cord at a time be it split or un split , it is running out of springs.

Agreed on that note.

I also take into consideration the amount of load on my 8.8" rear axle bearings. ('95 Ford F150 4x4)
Depending on the tire, load ratings should also be considered.
And as far as safety goes, I'm talking about on public roads. Do what you want elsewhere. Non of my business.

My buddy has an early 2000s Chevy half ton. It's legal payload capacity is 750#. I've never seen a ranger or other small truck that you can put 2000#+ in legally. That sounds crazy to me. 4500# in a half ton would be equally crazy. I don't know why on Earth you'd suggest someone do that. 4500# in the bed is dually territory or maybe late model SRW one ton.

My buddy has an early 2000s Chevy half ton. It's legal payload capacity is 750#. I've never seen a ranger or other small truck that you can put 2000#+ in legally. That sounds crazy to me. 4500# in a half ton would be equally crazy. I don't know why on Earth you'd suggest someone do that. 4500# in the bed is dually territory or maybe late model SRW one ton.
That sounds kinda silly to me. Look what my 96 Tacoma is rated for.Screenshot_20190207-083654.png

https://www.fleet.ford.com/resources/ford/general/pdf/towingguides/2004_All.pdf

ford sets the max payload at 1845 pounds but that is supposed to include passengers and everything in the cab also. every pound added from bone stock is a pound that is supposed to come out of 1845

Ford figures 5 passengers at 150 pounds each and 1/2 ton 1000 pounds and an extra 95 pounds for incidentals and your max

I count for 2 passengers myself

I do have to run public roads so I try and keep it reasonably close to max payload.

NCPT and Lead Farmer you guys got a couple nice one ton's. Years ago I had a 73 Chevy one ton with a steel 8 by 10 dump on it. I bought it at a auction of a lawn service that went out of business. Motor was bad and had some rust. Put a new engine in it new fenders, cab corners, rockers and threw a paint job on it. Used it for years around the farm but only being two wheel drive you had to watch were you went with it. Then a buddy's kid was starting a lawn service so I sold it to him. Hasn't been too many years ago he finally junked the truck as it had completely rusted out. Even the box had rusted out.

Sorry - GMC here! Wish it was a Ford, but I'll take what I can get.

4wd, dump bed, 4 doors.

I'm not proud of my racks - they were/are meant to be temporary, and just held in place with wood screws. I still mean to make some proper racks with bolts one of these days.

22713479_10214219627749741_5934726130164134207_o.jpg

This pic was taken during a parking lot starter replacement. I've changed 3 starters in parking lots so far (3 different vehicles). This one was in the parking lot of an auto repair shop. Very handy. They even loaned me some tools.

Sorry - GMC here! Wish it was a Ford, but I'll take what I can get.

4wd, dump bed, 4 doors.

I'm not proud of my racks - they were/are meant to be temporary, and just held in place with wood screws. I still mean to make some proper racks with bolts one of these days.

22713479_10214219627749741_5934726130164134207_o.jpg

This pic was taken during a parking lot starter replacement. I've changed 3 starters in parking lots so far (3 different vehicles). This one was in the parking lot of an auto repair shop. Very handy. They even loaned me some tools.

! if its broke change it or fix it! if it works and don't fall apart, work it till it does ! then you know what you had was good or "BROKEN" …. NICE RIG UNC!

I've had 3000 lbs in my F250 plus whatever my boxes and tools weigh, and it barely moved the springs.

It rides AWFUL unloaded but dang it if it's not good at doing truck things.

It's single tire and the tires always feel like the weakest link.

View attachment 713679 this was my hauler first for a couple of years then,View attachment 713684 View attachment 713685 this was my wood hauler for 4 or 5 yearsView attachment 713686

Vans can be a great value if a guy can live without 4wd. They can be had with big blocks, v10s, or even diesels and they're usually much much cheaper than the same configuration in a pickup. Obviously you can't just toss things in over the side, but it is handy to just be able to close the doors and not worry about things blowing around. You can even lock them. There's a guy in my town with a sweet E350 with a 7.3 power stroke. He chopped the roof off after the second row of seats and made a pickup bed behind it. It's a little DIY looking, but I think it looks great. Super handy.

I used my E350 5.4v8 15 passenger van and a 14 foot trailer for a lot of years , I built small table off the front corner of the trailer with a vise to gas/oil/sharpen saws

Vans are great for locked storage could leave everything and go in a store and not worry your saw would be gone when you came out.

my wife used to joke it wasn't a van it was a mobile tool shed that sat 5 people and 2 dogs .

had the first row out and the last 2 , it had a 71 inch wooden tool box with drawers that slid out behind the bench seat and another tool box behind the driver seat

Latest posts

Back