My woodtruck mods

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Love the truck NCPT, out of curiosity why did you go to the inside of existing rails? was it to keep with modularity?

Love the truck NCPT, out of curiosity why did you go to the inside of existing rails? was it to keep with modularity?
Yes! Tried to keep everything modular as possible. I can haul a solid cord of wood with a somewhat compact 4×4 one-ton truck when panels are in, haul whatever else when I take them out.

The payload. I used my 550xp to cut all this. This was the first time I have really got to use it and it was perfect.....light and fast and plenty of powa!
View attachment 713949
Look at the variation in the color of the wood. The rounds are cut fresh today, the splits in the other stack are 4 months old....both white oak.

how does it ride with a load like that on. room for more wood stacked higher ?
Rides good, better loaded than unloaded lol. That load is about all I'm comfortable hauling until I get new tires and check my brakes and steering components.

Here's my current wood pile. If you look behind the truck, you can see two stacks of rounds, I got them Friday and Sunday. The two stacks of splits (behind the rows of splits) came from Saturday. The splits on the pallets are actually two rows, and all of the wood just mentioned is white oak. The oldest looking stack, closest in the pic, is mostly red oak.
20190210_144105.jpg

nice truck but I don't envy buying 6 tires for it it was bad enough buying 4

I had the same thought when I bought my dually this summer. I did some reading though, and found a few people saying that yes, you have to buy 6 at a time, or at least 4 for the rear at the same time, but that they last longer doing the same job compared to a SRW one ton. I haven't had mine long enough to have a personal opinion, but it does stand to reason.

FE490A7A-41EF-4065-BDF4-2E09AE41D195.jpeg
45159068-058D-4AC3-9675-7F00110262C7.jpeg

Current wood hauler... 92 f-350 2wd

Love the old fords, definitely my first choice for a work truck. I’ve had a cord and a half on this truck and she handled it easy. 3.5 ton of stone from the quarry, she got me home, slowly, but we got there. The only gripe I have with older trucks is lack of power, behind the flatbed is a 14 6.7 f350... that bad boy has some real power.

I know lol. $900-1000 was the price quote I got.

sounds about right 150 a tire installed was what I was paying for my E350 few years ago.

that van has 240K and has tread left on the 3rd set of tires averaging a over 80k on a set of tires and we change them generally well before our southern friends feel the need. I think my first set was 88k and the second set was 180 something so at least they last good , the wife's mini van needs new tires every other year it seems and don't cost that much less.

I dont know how this could weight, but never had anway problem with my 2011 Tacoma. Only modification is 4 leaf spring suspension instead of 3. Suspension drop at least 6-8 inches when full.

IMG_0934.JPG IMG_0577.JPG IMG_0576.JPG IMG_0632.JPG

I dont know how this could weight, but never had anway problem with my 2011 Tacoma. Only modification is 4 leaf spring suspension instead of 3. Suspension drop at least 6-8 inches when full.

Put 300zx_tt's load on the back, and the problem will become obvious!!

nice truck but I don't envy buying 6 tires for it it was bad enough buying 4

When you consider a delta of roughly $300 for the two extra tires over the four, the stoutness and stability of the dually becomes easy to justify. I picked up an 02 7.3 4wd crew cab dually this past spring for the sole purpose of hauling a truck camper. Now that I have it, I'm not sure I would consider anything that wasn't DRW again.

Since we're showing our wood haulers...

You know...

When you buy a vehicle brand new, from a dealer. You try to baby it for a while.

You don't let people eat in it.
You wash it every couple of days.
You vacuum the interior every once in a while.
You be extra careful of what you transport in it so that it stays in nice shape.

But...

....after a while,

You get so many miles on it, that you just really don't care so much any more about what you carry inside your precious vehicle....

For me...

That mileage is 15,789.
jeep.jpg

^^^^^Love it!

Before I had a trailer I used to regularly haul some m onster stumps to the dump on the back of my CJ8. Took one once and had to have a loader lift it off the back - couldn't move it with several people. I'd load them on with my old backhoe - people would always ask how the hell I got them on there.

Once, as I pulled away from the dump gate lady to unload my stump, I heard her say to the employee next to her "what the hell are we going to do with that thing?" I swelled with pride.

Since we're showing our wood haulers...

You know...

When you buy a vehicle brand new, from a dealer. You try to baby it for a while.

You don't let people eat in it.
You wash it every couple of days.
You vacuum the interior every once in a while.
You be extra careful of what you transport in it so that it stays in nice shape.

But...

....after a while,

You get so many miles on it, that you just really don't care so much any more about what you carry inside your precious vehicle....

For me...

That mileage is 15,789.
View attachment 714720
Great post lol. Nice jeep too....I have had several, a CJ, YJ, TJ and a Cherokee. Another TJ is next though.

Latest posts

Back