Mystery Screw Stihl Wood Boss 028 AV

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aaron Meyer

Reaction score
I've been searching the forum all morning and found a huge amount of really useful information, but so far no answer to the question I came here looking for. Maybe someone can end my agony, haha.

I was recently gifted a Stihl Wood Boss 028 AV that was leaking bar oil. So I tore it down and replaced the gasket on the oil pump. No issues there. But then I reassembled it and had one screw left over. I tore it back down and for the life of me couldn't find where this thing goes.

I'll attach a picture. Anyone recognize this screw?

i1xkpj.jpg

*The head is slotted.

Most of them don’t have the marks on the sides. Making me think it is something that might be intended to be turned by your fingers if needed. Only thing I can think of is the idle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep I just finished working on an 028AV the other day and the idle screw looks exactly like the one in your photo. It installs vertically and screws down through the top of carb shroud so you can adjust it from the top of the saw between the engine cover and the air filter cover.

I had the same thought kenton. And I think you all nailed it. For some reason I was thinking there was a set screw in there. I was up late finishing it up and maybe it was just a bit too late.

I really appreciate the help. Thanks everyone!

I've been searching the forum all morning and found a huge amount of really useful information, but so far no answer to the question I came here looking for. Maybe someone can end my agony, haha.

I was recently gifted a Stihl Wood Boss 028 AV that was leaking bar oil. So I tore it down and replaced the gasket on the oil pump. No issues there. But then I reassembled it and had one screw left over. I tore it back down and for the life of me couldn't find where this thing goes.

I'll attach a picture. Anyone recognize this screw?

i1xkpj.jpg

*The head is slotted.
It “is” the idle screw, there should also be a spring that goes under it to keep tension on it so it doesn’t vibrate loose. I have one, I know this because I completely rebuild the saw and could not keep it running.

Latest posts

Back