Mystery to me issue

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

czyhorse

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
every so often when I am running my Husky 455 it will stop like it has run out of fuel. When I open the gas cap there is usually around half a tank in there and it is bubbling almost like it is boiling but it is not hot. Some times it spews out of the tank when I crack it open. I thought perhaps the tank wasn’t getting good air flow in so i changed out the breather element for the fuel tank. It has done it once since then. what else could it be? how about the fuel filter? How often should those be changed? Can you blow air through them and clean them out or should they just be replaced? Is OEM the best or is there a better after market option?

If it bubbles when you open the cap, then there is still a vacuum in the tank. I would continue to inspect the breather vent tube and the element on the end of that tube

Bubbling gas? Have not seem that before...but I wonder if your carb is vapor locking for some reason?

Have you confirmed the saw has spark when it quits running?

If it bubbles when you open the cap, then there is still a vacuum in the tank. I would continue to inspect the breather vent tube and the element on the end of that tube
The new one must be getting some crap in it too or something...... I put a brand new one in. It was hard to get out. Everything seems clear behind it. You have to pull the recoil starter cover to get to it. I really don’t want to keep doing that. I think I am stripping out two of the screw holes. Anyone know how to fix that in the plastic casing? I wished I could have afforded a pro saw but I couldn’t at the time, this was my best option and it has served me very well other then a few minor issues.

@czyhorse. Cut a small pics of zip tie and insert in the screw hole. DON'T overtighten. Should help. Zip tie needs replaced every time you remove the screw. As far as the gas bubbling, have you cleaned the fins on the saw with air?
I swear I’d did not think I was over-tightening them. Thanks for the advice. They are not falling out I am just sure they are in the process of stripping and dont want tot take them out anymore then I have to. Was hoping for something more permanent.

I assume you are talking about the fins on the flywheel? I blow them out pretty regularly With 90 PSI air.

I had a climbing saw that would boil its own gas tank occasionally and what had happened was there was so much sap built up on the cooling fins on the motor that you couldn't see them any more and it would get very, very hot. We were cutting a lot of beetle killed spruce that summer and it was very hot and dry. That dead spruce pitch when you cut into it just vaporizes and sticks to everything.

I swear I’d did not think I was over-tightening them. Thanks for the advice. They are not falling out I am just sure they are in the process of stripping and dont want tot take them out anymore then I have to. Was hoping for something more permanent.

I assume you are talking about the fins on the flywheel? I blow them out pretty regularly With 90 PSI air.
Fins on the cylinder.

Winter fuel?
What is your temperature outside?
I ask because it is super common here in ohio for winter fuel to "boil" & cause all sorts of issues cutting in winter when it gets above 65*, or especially early spring before they change back to summer blend.
most people who experience it & haven't seen it before blame the saw before trying different fuel.

Winter fuel?
What is your temperature outside?
I ask because it is super common here in ohio for winter fuel to "boil" & cause all sorts of issues cutting in winter when it gets above 65*, or especially early spring before they change back to summer blend.
most people who experience it & haven't seen it before blame the saw before trying different fuel.
This!

The refineries add butane to the winter mix here to aid in easier starting for autos, this I have been told by a guy I know well that works in the product test lab. The refineries change the mix fairly early and often it came out just as we were cutting up, bucking , our winters wood and it was a big problem when we ran saws like the Poulan306A and others with a combined fuel tank and saw chassis. It is a bit less of a problem now as we run separated fuel tank saws but I still see that boiling fuel until the weather gets good and cold, just a few degrees above freezing on down to 15_18 below.

The refineries add butane to the winter mix here to aid in easier starting for autos, this I have been told by a guy I know well that works in the product test lab. The refineries change the mix fairly early and often it came out just as we were cutting up, bucking , our winters wood and it was a big problem when we ran saws like the Poulan306A and others with a combined fuel tank and saw chassis. It is a bit less of a problem now as we run separated fuel tank saws but I still see that boiling fuel until the weather gets good and cold, just a few degrees above freezing on down to 15_18 below.
I see it causing problms here in the spring and early summer.

I see it causing problms here in the spring and early summer.
Carry over gasoline. I cut all winter and quit when the snow melts in the late spring. When the temps rise past 45F its time to get out of the woods, mud and standing water all around. This year the temps have been higher than usual, mild and wet is not good for woods work.

There's a technique to getting screw threads to survive in plastic. When you are putting the screw back in, make sure you pick up the original threads and not make new ones, do this by putting slight pressure inward on the screw and slowly turn the screw backwards until you feel it clunk into the thread. If you have picked up the original thread, the screw will spin in easily and if it doesn't you are making new threads and weakening the plastic supporting the threads and the new threads will strip easily.

@czyhorse. Not sure about hooskies, but do you know if your saw has a winter/summer shutter for the carb?
Not that I am aware of. There is nothing in the manuals about it either. They do have a winter kit for the saw which opens a hole in the engine cover divider. I assume it is to allow air warmed by the engine / exhaust section to get over to carb / fuel input section. They have a plug for the summer. There is also a cover for the lower half of the flywheel / air injection side of the case. That’s all it says about winter low temp use.

Back