Mystery Tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Graysbeach

Reaction score
I have just bought a house on Cape Cod. The house is 100 years old and has had three owners. The second owner was working as a Landscaper and I have some of his "leftover stock" planted here and there around the property. Our question regards a 60' deciduous tree with smooth gray bark. It has clumps of three to five leaves located 2 - 3" apart along its branches. The leaflets are not opposite, nor are they alternate. They occur around the stem (branch) at left, center, right, and then continue the pattern. The individual leaves have 2" stems and the body of the leaf is 4 1/2" long. They are medium green with a light green back with raised alternate veins. The shape of the leaf is rounded near the stem and comes to a point at 4 1/2 inches. The edges of the leaf have very fine teeth (?) or flatly jagged. Very fine and best viewed on the back. Can you identify this beautiful tree for us? I could send pictures but I don't know how to other than an email. Hope you can help.

I have just bought a house on Cape Cod. The house is 100 years old and has had three owners. The second owner was working as a Landscaper and I have some of his "leftover stock" planted here and there around the property. Our question regards a 60' deciduous tree with smooth gray bark. It has clumps of three to five leaves located 2 - 3" apart along its branches. The leaflets are not opposite, nor are they alternate. They occur around the stem (branch) at left, center, right, and then continue the pattern. The individual leaves have 2" stems and the body of the leaf is 4 1/2" long. They are medium green with a light green back with raised alternate veins. The shape of the leaf is rounded near the stem and comes to a point at 4 1/2 inches. The edges of the leaf have very fine teeth (?) or flatly jagged. Very fine and best viewed on the back. Can you identify this beautiful tree for us? I could send pictures but I don't know how to other than an email. Hope you can help.

Could be a Beech - still cannot find anything with leaves like that. Many varieties, will keep searching, may visit a local arborist. Thanks for directing me to pictures.

Latest posts

Back