Narrow kerf bar/chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

livemusic

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
How have the narrow kerf systems done regarding acceptance in the marketplace? The claim is it cuts faster; it is for small/medium size saws. I do not know how many manufacturer's offer this. An example is Oregon's... here is a pdf link:

Speedcut

The new Stihl RS-Pro .325 full chisel has gotten very good reviews. I think there's a semi-chisel version also.

I think your speaking highly localized for gauge type. I prefer .050" myself as I can easily get stihl chain in that gauge, but 80% of the husqys I've bought, had .058" on them stock. Normally have to ask for the bar to be swapped out to an .050" gauge. Havent had to question that on a stihl. Ymmv

I suspect it is about a 1.3 mm / 0.050 "chain.
I kind of suspect that also but there should be lots of stuff available via search. There is the 0.043 nk in both 3/8 and now .325. And the new Stihl "pro" offerings.

the 95 class Oregon, now txl I believe and prior other letters but still 95 class. Sorry i choose not to pay attention to the new words and prefer the letters and numbers. Lots of Husqvarna chainsaws come with that new the ones larger than 3/8lp and smaller than full size .325. I think he has a Makita 4300 that can come with this product line in some markets. ?market acceptance?

The new Stihl RS-Pro .325 full chisel has gotten very good reviews. I think there's a semi-chisel version also.
It is an internet phenomenon and not known about in my travels and not on the websites of the areas I visit. I have touched the fuel injected chainsaw. Is it available in rolls or just loops.

I suppose there has to be a concrete reason why Husqvarna decided to pursue .050" gauge bars and chain for small, medium, and large saws. Looks like that pursuit succeeded. Just MHO.
Sure seems to me the .325NK or pixel Husqvarna bars are the same laminate stock as the 3/8lp 0.-050 stuff. Also note Oregon chain like 91 vxl or 91px is rated to 42cc max. .325NK to 55cc, and regular .325 like lpx, bpz to 62cc. A lot of Husky stuff is 0.058, my 51 came that way back in 1992 or there abouts.

I have been using the Oregon 95VP .325. It works great if your cutting a lot of limbs. When bucking logs, my 545 mark ii cuts faster with LPX . I have seen videos where a 346xp cut faster with narrow kerf than standard LPX.

I haven’t had it long, but I run the .050 3/8” Picco on a three horse saw and it cuts like you wouldn’t believe. I haven’t run it long enough to see if it has a longevity penalty, but it doesn’t appear that way so far.

Franny, the RS Pro chain is real, I saw it in person at a store in Ohio a couple of months ago. I don't have a saw running .325 so I haven't used it.

Franny, the RS Pro chain is real, I saw it in person at a store in Ohio a couple of months ago. I don't have a saw running .325 so I haven't used it.
That is interesting,. While my location for AS is Ct I am in Marietta Ohio on a regular basis. Specifically asked about it.

I am interested in trying out the new products, the Oregon with the special drive links, the Husqvarna new product and the Stihl. The 5 or more year ago .325 NK stuff bordered on comical at times. Getting stuck,. the x grind digging in and another time trying to bore with the 10 tooth nose bar.

My Husqvarna 353 (and many other models) came with .325/.050 narrow kerf chain: Husqvarna H30, Oregon Type 95, and Carlton N1 (?).

I used it. I like it. 16” and 20” bars. Thinner bar sometimes more flexible (noticed more in bigger wood), but newer Oregon ‘SpeedCut’ guide bars are laminated and stiffer.

Philbert

I've tried the Stihl RS 3/8 chain and the Stihl PS 3/8 narrow kerf chain back to back on the same saw and bar, in the same piece of wood. The narrow kerf chain knocked 30 percent or better off of my cutting times on a 40cc saw. I would probably limit it to a mid 60 cc saw though, you might wind up breaking chains on a more powerful saw, the links and drivers are not as substantial as the regular 3/8 RS.
I've also used the 23 RS pro chain and it also works very well, same consideration goes for that one.

My Stihl dealer has been getting RSP when they order .325/.050 for almost a year now... .050 is the standard for Stihl up here and has been for many years, have yet to find a dealer that actually stocks .063, we didn't back when I wrenched in the early 00's either. Husky is still .058 for the most part.

Sure seems to me the .325NK or pixel Husqvarna bars are the same laminate stock as the 3/8lp 0.-050 stuff. Also note Oregon chain like 91 vxl or 91px is rated to 42cc max. .325NK to 55cc, and regular .325 like lpx, bpz to 62cc. A lot of Husky stuff is 0.058, my 51 came that way back in 1992 or there abouts.
The old stuff is disappearing. Even Stihl is showing more narrow gauge .050 and seems to be getting away from .063 gauge. I get lots of snapped chains these days for re-connect. Most of them are low-proifile narrow gauge, .050, used by climbers who snap them while up in the tree. On the average, it takes half-again longer to rebuild a snapped chain than it take to make a new loop.

My local dealers try to avoid dealing with narrow kerf chain for reasons that aren't performance related. I've heard the following from various Husky dealers when I went looking for narrow kerf on my 550xp mk2:

1) "Why fix something that's not broken."
2) "I don't want confusion with customers when they try to price shop a saw at a competitors shop with mine. Everyone specs standard gauge and it makes things simple for everyone."
3) "I don't mess with this custom stuff-I don't want stuff collecting dust on shelves."
4) "It's easier for customers to find a chain if they need one. People will blame me for problems when they put the wrong chain on the saw because no one understands narrow kerf."
5) "I don't want to have to stock all those different combinations."

I made a long drive to a dealer that DOES deal in narrow kerf and went with a 20" bar and I love it. Cuts through wood like butter and the saw doesn't bog. Minimal bar flex. I can't see going back to regular chain on a 50cc or less saw now. Good luck finding it though.

I had a local Stihl dealership (pat power) make me a loop of .325 chain. I am virtually positive it is this new stuff. Probably one should start by asking for product code 3690. Between the owner and I assume his daughter they did not really understand what I was asking for. It is probably likely the bulk spools .325 0.050 are this product now. I did not look at the boxes to see the code but wanted a dl count not generally used by stihl bars.

I put it on my Husky 338xpt which I generally have converted back to 3/8lp or 1/4 0.050 real soon when trying H30 or20lpx. Worth a try to see for yourself. Much less chips than full sized .325.

piece of Stihl 3690 a.jpg

I changed my mind and shortened the loop, well they made it with a missing cutter compared to what one would expect. The hole in the drive link is smaller than the barrel of Oregon pre set tie strap choices I have on hand. 20lpx and 95vpx I have them labeled. The rivet spacing seems real close if not exact to the 95vpx one.

Latest posts

Back