NC tree worker killed when knocked out of bucket.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

under_the_hill

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
It's unclear whether the man was harnessed to the bucket or not.

Story as of 5:40pm on 2/27/2017:

"A Johnston County tree trimmer was killed when he was thrown from a bucket truck Monday morning.

Family members said Kenneth Earl Vick, 65, was working with his brother at a home at 402 Dixie Drive in Selma when a gust of wind caused the top of the tree he was cutting to crash into the lift truck, throwing him about 65 feet to the ground.

A rented machine also toppled to the ground during the incident, family members said.

Family members said Vick was the co-owner of Country Boy Tree Service and was well-known in Johnston, Wilson and Wayne counties. He was also the co-owner of Kenly Appliances in Kenley.

Selma police and OSHA are investigating the death."

http://www.wral.com/johnston-county-tree-trimmer-killed-in-65-foot-fall-from-bucket-truck/16555669/

Those are ok as long as you are aware of the limitations. You can do a lot of smaller jobs in places where a bucket truck can't go. The news article seems to indicate that there was a bucket truck being used in addition to the lift although it is not shown in the picture.

It's unclear whether the man was harnessed to the bucket or not.

Story as of 5:40pm on 2/27/2017:

"A Johnston County tree trimmer was killed when he was thrown from a bucket truck Monday morning.

Family members said Kenneth Earl Vick, 65, was working with his brother at a home at 402 Dixie Drive in Selma when a gust of wind caused the top of the tree he was cutting to crash into the lift truck, throwing him about 65 feet to the ground.

A rented machine also toppled to the ground during the incident, family members said.

Family members said Vick was the co-owner of Country Boy Tree Service and was well-known in Johnston, Wilson and Wayne counties. He was also the co-owner of Kenly Appliances in Kenley.

Selma police and OSHA are investigating the death."

http://www.wral.com/johnston-county-tree-trimmer-killed-in-65-foot-fall-from-bucket-truck/16555669/
Harness would not have saved him, most likely.

That looks like a JLG articulating lift. I don't think it's something people should be trimming trees from.
I used them nothing wrong with using them unless power is close. The problem it appears is trying to take too much at once and do a climbing job with a lift. That jlg is 57' working height the tree obviously 90 foot. What that should mean to any well seasoned veteran is climb up piece it down until the lift can be utilized. Even bucket trucks can be flipped broken etc. when a large top is loaded on them(just sayin)

Two Years Ago Today I Was There He Was My Grandpa He Didn't Wear A Harness I didnt either I If You Have Any Questions I'll Respond R.I.P KENNY VICK LOVE YOU

Attachments

• received_244451302804579.jpeg
    received_244451302804579.jpeg
    41.1 KB · Views: 34
Back