Need a new add on furnace.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alleyyooper

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
In the market for a new add on wood furnace to heat 2500 sq. ft. Give me some ideas and dealers for the brand in the mid eastern Michigan area. My old one is 28 years old and finally has reached it's usefull life. It also is no longer made.

:D Al

Have you looked into a super jack made by Yukon? I have no first hand knowledge but they look to be a very well made unit. There is a guy on here affiliated with them, crappiekieth. Maybe he'll chime in.
I would stay away from the TSC Hotblast and the like.
I have a Fawcette made in Canada and love it. Maybe you could have one shipped in?
good luck,
dave

I have the KUMMA, I ,like it alot. a full review to coming a week or two.

I don't know what happened to Keith...he has not posted since 6/12. I looked hard at the wood furnaces he sold...very well built but the price was too high for me at the time...about $5K.

Yukon - Your Wood Furnace Company

$5k must have been for a Husky model. The SJ is more like $2700. Yukon - Your Wood Furnace Company

I had a Big Jack, which has the same firebox as a Super Jack (BJ just doesn't have a secondary heat exchanger like the SJ does). Yukon claims secondary combustion, I can tell you from experience, it only happens at the beginning of a fresh load, during a roaring fire. When you are running on low fire, she's a smokin. The Tundra Fyrebug mentioned has true secondary clean burn system. I say burn that smoke energy, not pizz your neighbors off with it! But if you are not worried about capturing every last ounce of heat energy and want something durable, (30 year warranty!) reliable, with great customer service, call Yukon (not knockin PSG customer service here, I'm sure it's good too :msp_smile:). Just an FYI, Yukon usually has a good sale towards the end of summer. I switched out to a Yukon Husky (whole house multifuel furnace) for a variety of reasons. I had to make a few mods to 'er, but I got 'er burnin nice and clean now!

Someone that is a member here on AS and lives near where CrappieKeith lives (lived?) said he doesn't work for Yukon anymore.

Last edited:
$5k must have been for a Husky model. The SJ is more like $2700. Yukon - Your Wood Furnace Company

I had a Big Jack, which has the same firebox as a Super Jack (BJ just doesn't have a secondary heat exchanger like the SJ does). Yukon claims secondary combustion, I can tell you from experience, it only happens at the beginning of a fresh load, during a roaring fire. When you are running on low fire, she's a smokin. The Tundra Fyrebug mentioned has true secondary clean burn system. I say burn that smoke energy, not pizz your neighbors off with it! But if you are not worried about capturing every last ounce of heat energy and want something durable, (30 year warranty!) reliable, with great customer service, call Yukon (not knockin PSG customer service here, I'm sure it's good too :msp_smile:). Just an FYI, Yukon usually has a good sale towards the end of summer. I switched out to a Yukon Husky (whole house multifuel furnace) for a variety of reasons. I had to make a few mods to 'er, but I got 'er burnin nice and clean now!

Someone that is a member here on AS and lives near where CrappieKeith lives (lived?) said he doesn't work for Yukon anymore.

When the new EPA regulations come into effect I think many furnaces will have a hard time passing the testing process with their current designs.

I used to sell them, sold/installed quite a few, built like a tank.

If you want a tank, buy a tank ;)

But if you are in for a wood burning furnace, then you want of course something that is well built but above all something that maximizes your heat output...

Warranty on Drolet is Pro-rated Lifetime - not legal liability lifetime 7 years (USA) or lifetime Canada (25 years). But lifetime, lifetime... as long as you have your unit.

http://www.drolet.ca/upload/documents/garanties/Warranty31-3.pdf

If you want a tank, buy a tank ;)

But if you are in for a wood burning furnace, then you want of course something that is well built but above all something that maximizes your heat output...

Warranty on Drolet is Pro-rated Lifetime - not legal liability lifetime 7 years (USA) or lifetime Canada (25 years). But lifetime, lifetime... as long as you have your unit.

http://www.drolet.ca/upload/documents/garanties/Warranty31-3.pdf

"Combustion chamber (welds only) and castings." "Lifetime"......everything else on/in your furnace is NOT lifetime.

"Combustion chamber (welds only) and castings." "Lifetime"......everything else on/in your furnace is NOT lifetime.

Beat me to it. I think they have good stuff, or I wouldn't have a Drolet stove, but pushing a "Lifetime" warranty on what basically amounts to welds only (few castings other than the firebox door on mine), ain't much of a warranty at all, considering I could get a welder locally to do the repairs for much less than the cost of returning the stove to the factory.

I will say that when I was shopping last fall, many manufacturers' warranties were about as watertight as a cheesecloth, and I would and did buy based on many other factors than warranty.

PS - Fyrebug, some lucky winner at the IA GTG now owns a SBI sweater. I didn't notice who got it though.

Beat me to it. I think they have good stuff, or I wouldn't have a Drolet stove, but pushing a "Lifetime" warranty on what basically amounts to welds only (few castings other than the firebox door on mine), ain't much of a warranty at all, considering I could get a welder locally to do the repairs for much less than the cost of returning the stove to the factory.

I will say that when I was shopping last fall, many manufacturers' warranties were about as watertight as a cheesecloth, and I would and did buy based on many other factors than warranty.

PS - Fyrebug, some lucky winner at the IA GTG now owns a SBI sweater. I didn't notice who got it though.

I have nothing against the Drolet, or any other piece of equipment (unless you want to discuss oil burners made soon after the '73 Arab oil embargo), I wound up selling Yukons cuz a local wholsaler had them, word got out, started selling like hotcakes. BTW Fyrebug, I have been a licensed HVAC contractor for over 40 yrs. I have really no use for mfrs. who sell retail.

Last edited:
You are right of course. Very few 'lifetime warranty' are lifetime on everything.

The reason for the welds warranty is its always a weak spot. If something's gonna give... it's gonna be a poor weld. If you take time to look at other warranty you'll note its not bad. Other MFG asks you to ship the unit back for repair.

I've personally taken service calls in NY, OH, PA, IN & MI. So we stand behind the product. Not to say BTW I can go and visit each and everyone of you... :msp_scared::msp_scared:

Correct, he no longer works for Yukon and has moved out of town.

thanks for the ideas. And thanks for the information on a dealer here in SE Michigan, I think there is a family farm near me.

:D Al

That is correct. CrappieKeith moved away from here and doesn't work for Yukon anymore. As a previous owner of a Yukon that now has a Kuuma in my house and shop, I can't say enough about how much I like the Kuumas!!!

That is correct. CrappieKeith moved away from here and doesn't work for Yukon anymore. As a previous owner of a Yukon that now has a Kuuma in my house and shop, I can't say enough about how much I like the Kuumas!!!

Did the poor fella swear off fishing too? I can't find his personal site anymore, and no YouTube videos in 9 months.

Starting to think there has to be a woman involved if he quit fishing...

Back