Need a new splitting axe or mail. Please Advise...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sess21

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
My leveaxe is getting stuck in this load of fresh oak halves. I want a new splitting axe or mail. If could buy one splitter, what would you buy?

How tall are you? Do you split on a block or the ground. What species do you split besides oak? Do you prefer a longer handle like 36” or shorter like 28”?

Yep, listen to Steve. I'd take the x27, but I'm 6'2" and split on the ground. I have a 5'9" friend who likes his x25.

I'm 5'11" and new to this so I don't know about the handle. I'm kindof an old skinny guy that now has a beer belly. So I'm no alpha male monster. I tell the tree guys that I can take a load off their hands whenever they have something too small for the dump. This first load was oak but anything common to NJ could be next. He mentioned hickory load maybe soon.

If you use a block you may like the longer handled X-27. I personally prefer the shorter handled X-25 but I split on the ground. With a shorter handled tool on a block you really have to be careful.

The S2800 Husqvarna is a better splitting tool than either of the Fiskars but because it’s so front heavy it isn’t as smooth of a tool.

I don't know if it's me or the leveaxe but constantly getting stuck
It’s the leveraxe. I’ve used one quite a bit and unless you are splitting clear softwoods it’s honestly not very good.

If I was going to split frozen aspen logs in the winter the Leveraxe is the ticket. For knotty wood or dense hardwoods you may as well leave it at home.

Question. Why would you split on the ground? I thought a block was what everyone uses
It’s quicker. You just stand up the rounds and whack them apart. Don’t use an expensive splitting tool though as occasionally you’ll blast though into the ground.

If you use a block you may like the longer handled X-27. I personally prefer the shorter handled X-25 but I split on the ground. With a shorter handled tool on a block you really have to be careful.

The S2800 Husqvarna is a better splitting tool than either of the Fiskars but because it’s so front heavy it isn’t as smooth of a tool.

So which one?

Question. Why would you split on the ground? I thought a block was what everyone uses

I don't even stand them up half the time. Just swing the axe like a golf club. Takes some getting used to, but it seems like a lot less work than setting a round up on a block every time.

My leveaxe is getting stuck in this load of fresh oak halves. I want a new splitting axe or mail. If could buy one splitter, what would you buy?

I don't split much with an axe/maul anymore. If you are splitting straight wood and on a block, the fiskars is the way to go; but the edge takes damage in the dirt and rocks. If I were only going to have one, I would go with one of these. I don't have this brand, but one just like it; I found it in a field doing tree work. The homeowner did not know where it came from and gave it to me. I carry it in my truck and use it more than any other:

http://counciltool.com/shop/mauls-wedges-hookeroon/6-sledge-eye-maul-fiberglass-handle/

Mine is the same one you can find at TSC.

Not looking to argue or counter you, but I have a different outcome. I have a x25 and a log splitter along with other random axes or mauls. I swing my x25 alot for stuff I don't put in front of the splitter. 1st I use a splitting block under the splitting round 100 percent of the time. It raises the round so the top is around mid or upper section of my body. I swing in a way that when I hit the round my arms and axe are paralell to the ground. That puts the force directly down through the round. If it was on the ground the force of the swing would be down and toward my feet or legs, bad in my opinion. I also dont like the idea of pounding at a firewood round on the dirt because it pounds dirt on my firewood round. Again not looking to argue with you svk, you are very helpful here as a member and I appreciate reading your posts. I have found a different outcome is all.

Back