Need a new tach

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mac&Homelite

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Looking for suggestions on a new tuning tach for small engines. I have a cheapo one, but I know the readout is not very fast, and perhaps a tad low. I have several upcoming projects, and I don't foresee the projects stopping anytime soon, so I've been looking at the new stihl ED9, but does anyone have any other suggestions? Also, does anyone know that the ED9 even goes for? If I remember correctly, it's around $80-90

Looking for suggestions on a new tuning tach for small engines. I have a cheapo one, but I know the readout is not very fast, and perhaps a tad low. I have several upcoming projects, and I don't foresee the projects stopping anytime soon, so I've been looking at the new stihl ED9, but does anyone have any other suggestions? Also, does anyone know that the ED9 even goes for? If I remember correctly, it's around $80-90
https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/new-stihl-edt9-tach-just-came-in.304559/

https://www.amickssuperstore.com/Stihl_Tach_p/stihl tach.htm

I would get one that allows access to replace the internal battery.

Mine is a Echo and was around $60 and works great and refreshes fast.

Something I reach for and started using about 2 years ago is a IR thermometer to test the cooling fin temp of a chainsaw while in the cut loaded up heavy in a full bar cut. (lets you know real fast if a saw is overheating and headed for self destruct. above 350 degrees F and especially 400 is too hot and the temp will usually get to 350 real fast in a cut. A normal saw will sometimes get to 325 but takes awhile to get to that temp in a full bar cut and stays at or below that temp. You can purposely lean out a Saw and see the saw cooling fins at the jug head for 400F quite fast with the IR.

The price of some reliable IR's has really dropped in price last couple of years, some at around $20, instead of $60-80.
Once you get started reaching for one they are great for getting fast temp reading of lots of things, you can even see PMS temp rising on your woman, if you are too dense and not experienced enough to detect such in the preliminary stages by her moods when it's first coming on. I highly recommend a IR temp for a newly wed guy when the honeymoon is over and she starts snapping like a mad dog every once in awhile and you are caught off guard.;)o_O

IMHO that tach is not something I would buy from EBay, a product like that could easily be counterfeited. Around here they busted a “wholesaler” that supplied flea market dealers. His “name brand” toothpaste was counterfeit and contained pesticides. You can guess the country of origin.

IMHO that tach is not something I would buy from EBay, a product like that could easily be counterfeited. Around here they busted a “wholesaler” that supplied flea market dealers. His “name brand” toothpaste was counterfeit and contained pesticides. You can guess the country of origin.
It was $10 shipped, so I'm not really out too much. I bought almost a year ago and I came a long way over the summer. It worked for what I needed it for at the time. Long overdue for an upgrade.

It was $10 shipped, so I'm not really out too much. I bought almost a year ago and I came a long way over the summer. It worked for what I needed it for at the time. Long overdue for an upgrade.

Did you check that ad link I sent you for that sale?

Did you check that ad link I sent you for that sale?
Yeah, I did. Going to order some some stuff from my local dealer and see what kind of a deal I can get on it. I buy enough from them I should get a little more than that off on it. Best part is, this new dealer gets me my parts in under a month unlike the last one lol.

Back