Need a powerhead for my 14" 3/8" Picco

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

esterbrook

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I've acquired a newer Stihl 14" bar (.05"). I came with a newer 3/8" picco sprocket and a handful of newer or new 50 DL 14" 3/8" chains. So I have a fairly nice trim saw setup minus the powerhead. I think it all came off a MS170. From the story, the guy didn't like the 170 and put the original sprocket, bar and chain back on the saw and took it back for trade in.

I have a 271, an old 048, and an old Echo 500 VL. The 271 is my main saw and I'm fine with it. The 048 is a fairly heavy old saw but runs great...usually only used when I need to cut something needing a 25" bar (I have a full 28" setup for it too). The 271 was bought to replace the Echo 500. I leave the Echo at the cabin now.

So my question: What powerhead would y'all recommend for this little trim saw set up? I don't mind new, but I'm totally fine with used. My two old saws still run like champs. I understand how quality equipment can last forever.

I mainly thin forest for homeowners in SE WY. Drop 50 trees in a weekend (per forest service recommendation). The majority is the size of your calf to the size of your thigh. So I really just want a saw I can delimb. I'll use the 271 for anything else I'm doing, like cutting to stove length. 12 hours of trimming with the 271 isn't the ideal situation.

Any recommendations? 30CC seems to be the target. What will this picco setup fit?

You put this in the milling and sawmill section

The bar and chain will pretty much fit any Stihl 45cc and down that is not set up for 1/4 pitch or 0.325 chain.

The sprocket hard to tell with info provided, Probably not the top handle or pole saws.

Latest posts

Back