Need Advice on Sickly Tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KD2020

Reaction score
Hi,
I don't know what's going on with this tree. Can you all help me (1) identify the tree species and (2) tell me if it's diseased and if what to do? For the past two seasons the west side of the tree hasn't been growing any leaves. Last year I just cut off the couple branches where leaves wouldn't grow and now this spring more branches aren't growing leaves. In the attached pictures notice all the little black dots all over the place. IMG_20200401_184214896.jpgIMG_20200401_184128529.jpgIMG_20200401_184222798.jpgIMG_20200401_184241816.jpg

Looks like a hybrid maple, (Red/Silver cross)
Most likely abiotic issues, chronic sun scalding, root collar disorder, mechanical damage etc.
Remove tree, not worth saving, too many negatives.
Spots are cosmetic.
Okay, thank you very much.

Since I posted this I went through a tree identification wizard online and it suggested this might be a black maple. Any thoughts on that?

Okay, thank you very much.

Since I posted this I went through a tree identification wizard online and it suggested this might be a black maple. Any thoughts on that?

Black Maple is very similar to Sugar Maple, which to an Arborist, is a very different tree from this hybrid.
You probably came up with black maple in the ID wizard because its leaves are similar in shape to these.

Latest posts

Back