Need an Autotune Carb Update/Reset

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrGiggles

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Bought my CS2252 (Husky 545) new in October 2014.

It's been flawless until recently and developed a terrible bog and poor starting. Started investigating, found that when I removed the air filter and cupped my hand around the carb inlet, and sprayed ether just in front of the carb around the intake boot, it would slow down and sometimes die.

I pulled the jug and inspected the intake boot. Did not find a smoking gun, but would like to put it together and do a proper pressure test like I should've in the first place.

I would like to send the carb off and have it updated, get the hours on it, reset, etc. Any dealers on here that would do this? There are none close to me that I trust. It has not seen a dealer since it was new, I'm sure it needs the latest software update, and probably reset because of the air leak.

By chance did you try a new spark plug. You would need to find a dealer with software for a reset and they can let you know of any error codes and what your problem is.

I would not be afraid to take it to any dealer to plug it in for a diagnostic scan and update.

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

I would not be afraid to take it to any dealer to plug it in for a diagnostic scan and update.

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

The dealer that I bought it from is Amish, don't think I need to explain that one. I'm sure they have a way of getting these to a computer, but I might as well go right to the source.

The other dealer close to me has less than stellar service.

Bought my CS2252 (Husky 545) new in October 2014.

It's been flawless until recently and developed a terrible bog and poor starting. Started investigating, found that when I removed the air filter and cupped my hand around the carb inlet, and sprayed ether just in front of the carb around the intake boot, it would slow down and sometimes die.

I pulled the jug and inspected the intake boot. Did not find a smoking gun, but would like to put it together and do a proper pressure test like I should've in the first place.

I would like to send the carb off and have it updated, get the hours on it, reset, etc. Any dealers on here that would do this? There are none close to me that I trust. It has not seen a dealer since it was new, I'm sure it needs the latest software update, and probably reset because of the air leak.
BTW, I believe the software is in the coil and not the carb. Same as Stihl M-tronic

I finally got some adapters rigged up and pressure tested the saw. I pumped it up to 10 psi and left it for an hour, down to 8 psi. Seems very passable to me, the leakage was probably through my janky plugs.

Any other ideas? It was terribly hard to start, had to run it on full choke for a few seconds before it would take any throttle, and would smoke like crazy even though the mix was correct. If you shut it down, you still had to fool with the choke and fast idle to get it going again, when this saw used to be flawless, I never had any of the hot start trouble that a lot of guys did.

I pulled the jug earlier and the P/C are unremarkable. There is just a very slight score, but this saw has 6 years of pretty heavy use on it.

Case has no air leaks. May want to replace piston ring, with 6 years of hard use. Compression may be down.

Case has no air leaks. May want to replace piston ring, with 6 years of hard use. Compression may be down.

The saw is still mostly assembled, the muffler is on, can't really see the case seams. I figured if it had a bad air leak it wouldn't hold pressure hardly at all. I planned on replacing the ring.

Do these carbs cause issues like this? Do they sell kits for them?

The decomp was plugged not long after I got the saw, so that is not the issue.

Before I replaced carb. Would replace ring, replace spark plug, if that did not solve problem, have it reflashed.

Any other ideas? It was terribly hard to start, had to run it on full choke for a few seconds before it would take any throttle, and would smoke like crazy even though the mix was correct. If you shut it down, you still had to fool with the choke and fast idle to get it going again, when this saw used to be flawless, I never had any of the hot start trouble that a lot of guys did.
Smoke Like Crazy? Got a leak between the oil tank and crankcase? May hold pressure because the oil tank is sealed but not vacuum with the oil tank check valve.

Smoke Like Crazy? Got a leak between the oil tank and crankcase? May hold pressure because the oil tank is sealed but not vacuum with the oil tank check valve.

I suppose that is a possibility. I'll pop the oil cap and try again.

I figured the smoke was from the AT dumping fuel to correct the lean condition.

Try a reset and or firmware update first. If that doesn't fix the issue it's likely a bad carb, at that time a good number of them were DOA. The module will need to be programed to match the coil on your saw, they come blank from the factory.

Does an update really fix issues like this though? Doesn't seem to me like it would start acting up all of the sudden, when it never once had an issue before.

I just hate to send the carb off, put it in and find out nothing changed, and then have to buy another carb and send it off again.

Is putting a kit in these carbs worth the trouble?

Back