Need arborist license to purchase new husky saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Huskybill

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
my sons buddy walked into a husky dealer in his area and went to purchase a new husky 390xp. The salesmen said he needed a arborists license to purchase this saw. Ever hear to this?
He finally purchased the saw after a hassle.

I wish the dealer was closeby I would go there and cut him a new one.

my sons buddy walked into a husky dealer in his area and went to purchase a new husky 390xp. The salesmen said he needed a arborists license to purchase this saw. Ever hear to this?

Haha, no!! That's a whack job dealer!!

Car dealerships don't even care if you have a driver license to sell you a car.

I guess they fear Liability concerns for selling some tight girl Jean wearing lumbersexual millineal a pro saw with a two foot bar and him laying his thigh open with the "blade". To avoid this he may say this to dissuade them. But when he was there I guess the dealer somehow realized this guy had run a saw or two before and more than the "Big farm Boss" or "Rancher 460" or even the ms170, so he sold him a saw?

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

I had no experience in felling when I purchased my first 2100. And a little experience when I purchased the 2102. The dealer was good enough to teach me as I went. I was lucky to have a dealer who did that.

The kid purchased a new 390 Xp with a 36” bar. The salesman probably drilled the kid on the bar length and what style chain and the kid didn’t know. I’ll look deeper into it.

https://www.facebook.com/search/top/?q=Idiot starting a chainsaw&epa=SEARCH_BOX

Years ago we were told of talk of Husky and Stihl putting in limits on who could purchase professional saws, basically you’d need to be an accredited logger or equivalent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A common home owner isn’t going to drop $1,200 on a new chainsaw at a dealer he’s going to a big box store.

Maybe having them watch a ppe safety equipment video or a felling video and how to use wedges. I purchased my two sons all the ppe safety stuff too.

I don’t think it was aimed at the homeowner I’m betting it’s aimed at the weekend warrior/firewood cutter that think they need a 70+cc with a 20” bar.

When I go to Stop&Shop grocery to buy cough medicine, I get carded. If I try to buy an envelope opener at Walmart, I get carded because it has a razor blade in it. Hell, if I try to buy a lighter I get carded. NY is all about C.Y.A.

Likely whatever transpired in conversation between the dealer and the customer resulted in the dealer thinking it was better to deny a sale to a potential hand grenade, and used the license excuse as a face-saving exit line. But that’s just a guess.

Or Maybe you sons friend has that creepy slasher vibe going on...I mean a scary orange chainsaw with a 3 foot bar is way scarier then a scary blak rifle with a 30,000 FPS 300 round banana clip that fires 6000 rounds per minute in a one of those huge sized AR-15 sized killing machine rounds. The shop was just trying to avoid a texas chainsaw massacre in you part of the US ;)

I would not be surprised if someday in the future some kind of chainsaw training is required before buying a chainsaw, way to many foolish accidents happening now.

Or Maybe you sons friend has that creepy slasher vibe going on...I mean a scary orange chainsaw with a 3 foot bar is way scarier then a scary blak rifle with a 30,000 FPS 300 round banana clip that fires 6000 rounds per minute in a one of those huge sized AR-15 sized killing machine rounds. The shop was just trying to avoid a texas chainsaw massacre in you part of the US ;)
In the video games they have both black rifles and chainsaws...maybe he was competing his arsenal?

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

There's a lot of Husky dealers around, I'd look for a different one who was willing to take my money.

Ill bet there aint too many of those video gaming fools could even lift and run a 90cc saw

Lol, I play video games and sometimes run an 084, but most people I know who play video games wouldnt even know which end of a lawnmower to hold never mind a chainsaw so I get your point.

I dont know about the US or Canada but in the UK you have to have an arborists licence to buy a top handle saw from Stihl dealerships. I dont think the same rules apply here in Ireland but my ms193 did come with a label that recommended only "trained professionals" use it. But I was still able to buy it without having to show any paper.

In the UK most dealers won't sell top handles to civillians. I do think it's being pushed from the Stihl side rather than the Gov. side, since you can buy any top handle you want, online. In Ireland, it's not like that yet, the shops will sell you anything you want. There's only one Stihl dealer I know of who abide by the no-top-handles rule, and they are also an arborist firm.

Lol, I play video games and sometimes run an 084, but most people I know who play video games wouldnt even know which end of a lawnmower to hold never mind a chainsaw so I get your point.

I dont know about the US or Canada but in the UK you have to have an arborists licence to buy a top handle saw from Stihl dealerships. I dont think the same rules apply here in Ireland but my ms193 did come with a label that recommended only "trained professionals" use it. But I was still able to buy it without having to show any paper.

A fellow counryman? Posted before I read your post. I bought a 160T from Dermot Casey in Mallow a few years ago, and they did mention something about " - Do you need a ticket to buy this one John?" I had the ticket so no issue, but I got the feeling they would have sold it me anyway.

I don’t think it was aimed at the homeowner I’m betting it’s aimed at the weekend warrior/firewood cutter that think they need a 70+cc with a 20” bar.

You’re right I don’t need a 70cc with a 20 inch bar.

Instead i need a ported 120cc with a 4’ bar[emoji38]

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

Can you give us a general location? Chances are someone here knows and may be able to shed light on the reasoning.
Maybe he had morals and didn't want to see the buyer get hurt? Like a barmaid not serving a minor?
Had to have a good reason to possibly miss a sale.

Back