Need chain advice Stihl ms250

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheDarkLordChinChin

Der Teufel der lacht nur dazu! HA HA HA HA HA!
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Hi
I recently inherited my grandfather's Stihl ms250, its a good saw but the chain is on its last legs
Everywhere i look online it says the saw will usually take either a 3/8 pitch chain or 325 but i could not find a definite answer to which it SHOULD take.
It has a 6 pin sprocket and its the 2002 model.
Answer to the obvious question: no, neither the bar nor the sprocket say which pitch they pull and i dont have a calipers to measure the pitch.

If the chain is not a Stihl chain and you want to be absolutely sure, then do as dougand3 suggested and measure across three rivets (meaning you measure from rivet number 1 , skipping rivet number 2, to rivet number 3). If it measures approx. 18mm then it is a 3/8 Low Profile chain. If it measures approx. 16mm then it is a .325 chain. As stated above, based on what you have told us up to now....we all are pretty certain you have a 3/8 Low Profile chain since you have a 6-tooth sprocket that has picco stamped on it! He Farmer Steve...thanks for the link. I had not seen an explanation of Stihl chain numbers before! Very nice! Much appreciated!

thanks for replies guys
im going to go with 3/8 picco based on what you have told me, the chain did come out at 3/8 anyway but i would not trust that on its own because my grandfather was not the kind of guy to look at specifications

here are some pictures
if you look closely you can see it says "picco" on the bottom of the first pictureDSCF4258.JPG

What i found interesting is the bar that came with this saw does not give a pitch but it does say it is 16 inches. However, it is about a centimeter longer than another 16 inch bar that i have on an ms180 that i know for certain is 3/8. You can see it clearer in the second picture.DSCF4260.JPG DSCF4262.JPG

Anyways, the chain that was on it had a "6" punched into the drive links so thanks for the PDF that showed what the different numbers mean @farmer steve

Back