Need chains for new CSM

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chas0218

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
So I'm in the market for some new chains for my CSM. The short story is a family member gave me the smaller Granberg mill with a 16" saw.

Well it's a cheap Homelite 33cc saw. It seems to cut decent but I'm looking to fit my Stihl 041 with a few chains so I can saw some of the bigger stuff I have around.

Anyway I have plenty of crosscut chains for the 24" carlton bar but want some ripping chains. I have been toying with ordering a few square tooth full chisel/comp chains that already have a 10* cutter. I have been reading a lot on angles raker height ect and think this wouldn't be a bad place to start. I could re-grind to a round chisel if need be although I don't mind learning how grind square tooth and I'm not too concerned about time to put a new edge on as I will be buying a few chains if you guys think it isn't a bad idea.

I'm just looking to make a few posts for my house and maybe some board and batten siding once I get the 4 stroke csm up and running. Specs on the bar are 3/8" .050" 84DL. The Stihl is a 60cc saw and should be able to handle the 24" bar no problem for milling. It handles cross cutting buried no problem so I can't imagine it being any worse not burying it milling.

I have a few loops of Woodland Pro ripping chain that works well. Got it from Baileys. Good price too. I'm to the point now that I just run regular Stihl RS chain. For me, it's just easier running the same for everything.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

Look into the Malloff grind, a full comp, chisel, round ground chain filed straight across at 0°. Hook angle of 45-50° depending on whether it's hand sharpened or grinder. 0° means there's no point to dull, so you can get a lot more use between sharpenings.

I have a few loops of Woodland Pro ripping chain that works well. Got it from Baileys. Good price too. I'm to the point now that I just run regular Stihl RS chain. For me, it's just easier running the same for everything.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk
Yeah that was what I was thinking, I have a few woodland pro chains that are crosscut. I tried running them once ripping (not in a mill configuration) and boy did they throw some noodles.

Look into the Malloff grind, a full comp, chisel, round ground chain filed straight across at 0°. Hook angle of 45-50° depending on whether it's hand sharpened or grinder. 0° means there's no point to dull, so you can get a lot more use between sharpenings.
I'll give them a look thanks for the help. What kind of speed cutting should I expect?

I'll give them a look thanks for the help. What kind of speed cutting should I expect?

You know I've never timed myself while cutting, that would make for a fun experiment one day. A user named Mtngun has done some timed tests on different chains, you could probably find the thread on here. I would say it's a little faster than a sharp Granberg chain, you'll notice it, but it's not like night and day, the big appeal for me is being able to make more cuts between sharpenings.

You know I've never timed myself while cutting, that would make for a fun experiment one day. A user named Mtngun has done some timed tests on different chains, you could probably find the thread on here. I would say it's a little faster than a sharp Granberg chain, you'll notice it, but it's not like night and day, the big appeal for me is being able to make more cuts between sharpenings.
That was what I am going for mostly but would like the best of both worlds, less sharpening and fast cutting. The finish isn't a big deal to me I like the roughness of the rough cut and if I'm looking to use it for wood working it gets planed and sanded anyway.

I'm going to be building a 4 stroke CSM so I just need something to get me by until then. I want to build a CSM that I can cut at walking speed.

I timed mine and I am cutting 1.2" a second. Assuming my math was correct..I was using a 10* ripping chain that i had made several cuts with before timing it...I was using a woodland on a 25" ms461

Back