Need detailed instructions-vacuum test 361 crankcase

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kspakland

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Northern Arizona, Off the grid but I need to move
MS361 won't start, won't draw gas from the tank.
I did a search on the site but ended up more confused after the search, I need to learn how to vacuum test the crankcase and impulse line.
I have a mityvac hand vacuum pump with gauge, and I might be able to fabricate some things to use for the test if needed, if I have enough detailed instructions how to perform the tests.
Many thanks in advance!!!
Kev

There are plenty of threads on here. Start reading. The basic idea is to block the known (intentional) leaks like ports and then apply pressure through either the impulse port or with a spark plug adapter. A big bucket of water to dunk the saw will instantly show you where the leaks are. The bubbles would be your first clue.

Yes. Very good point for someone unfamiliar with a test as high tech as the “Dunk Test”
Or someone would be looking for a leak in their bucket wondering where all the water is going.

I actually know of a case where water was drawn into a crankcase inadvertently...LOL

Back