Need help adjusting Fitchburg chipper

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kaptain_K

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I can't find a manual for this chipper and I'd like to get it set up properly or close to it. Can anyone help me figure out what adjusts what?

A) I don't understand what the two little screws do above the knives on the drum. They should be to adjust the knives in and out shouldn't they? If so, how do they work? The ones I can get to on the first knife must actually adjust the knife above it or ?? I took one out and it's only about an inch long...I don't get what it is supposed to do.

B) I am not sure how to adjust the bed knife up and down, or remove it.

C) The chipper uses a spring loaded feed table. Does that need adjustment, or it just does what it does?

here's a few photo's...

Nobody? There is an Asplundh maintenance tag on the unit, and originally I thought I was buying an Asplundh Whisper! It pretty much looks the same (w/out a discharge blower) but has a spring-loaded feed table. Otherwise the drum/knife setup looks very similar to what the Asplundh manual says....only problem is I've never worked on an Asplundh....i'm just looking at the tiny schematic drawing of the Asplundh manual, I don't have the Fitchburg manual....seems nobody does?
thanks,
Kaptain

I just found your thread. Any luck? The two small set screws adjust your knives. Have you gotten them free yet? Replaced them or taken them out to sharpen them yet? I can take pictures of my chipper to help. The spring loaded feed plate should be adjusted if it is not working properly or worse if it is coming into contact with the knives! Do not confuse dull or chipped knives not feeding / chipping with an improperly working feed plate. What engine does your chipper have. I would like to see more pictures! It looked like my chipper in the pics you posted! Incidentally, I found your post because my chipper is giving me electrical problems. I am not getting spark. My chipper has the Ford 300 ci straight six engine.-Kevin

Hi Kevin,
Mine has a chrysler slant-6. Purrs like a kitten.
I did remove the knives and sharpen them, but I didn't understand how the set screws do anything at all. It seemed like the knife placement was fixed to me, which I know can't be correct. So now I'm trying to remove/inspect the bed knife and I'm not sure which bolts to undo...
~Kap't

I own a old Fitchburg and a couple old Mitts&Merrill chippers. I have learned a lot about these chippers. Can't go wrong with these chippers. I have the manual on the Mitts&Merrill. My Fitchburg has a 15" drum and a ford 390 V-8 in it. Has the spring loaded feed plate on it. I'm looking where I can get parts for this chipper. Anybody know? If there is something you need to know about either of these chippers I'm here to help.

Kaptain K.. I have an old (REALLY old) Ashplundt and just finished up doing the knives and anvil. What I found is the owners manual for a Bandit 1690 is the exact same drum/blade setup my 1958 Ashplundt 16" uses. They let you download that manual from their site for free. Bearings don't match nor do a large number of other things obviously but how to install, adjust and torque the blades are bang on. Guessing they're using the casting molds from the old Ashplundts

Kaptain K. I found a manual for the Fitchburg chipper. I ordered it yesterday. Will have it in a few days.

I also have a Fitchburg chipper with 15” knives . It has a Ford 330 hd v8 engine . I haven’t found any Information on what distance to set the blades from the cutter bar and what the height should be from the spring door plate to the top of the cutter bar . No luck with finding a manual either !! Can anyone help ??

Hi Kevin,
Mine has a chrysler slant-6. Purrs like a kitten.
I did remove the knives and sharpen them, but I didn't understand how the set screws do anything at all. It seemed like the knife placement was fixed to me, which I know can't be correct. So now I'm trying to remove/inspect the bed knife and I'm not sure which bolts to undo...
~Kap't
Im having trouble removing one of the blades on an older style Fitchburg chipper. The other blade bolts used to release the other blades doesnt fit the threads on one of them. It seems to take one of the bigger 1/2 inch bolts from the cutting Plates but it doesnt seem long enough. Care to shed some light on what I might be doing wrong?

I've just purchased a M-B Company Fitchburg 612 12" chipper needing all those fine adjustments required.
I suspect many of us would love to hear where we can purchase a Fitchburg Chipper Manual!

I own a old Fitchburg and a couple old Mitts&Merrill chippers. I have learned a lot about these chippers. Can't go wrong with these chippers. I have the manual on the Mitts&Merrill. My Fitchburg has a 15" drum and a ford 390 V-8 in it. Has the spring loaded feed plate on it. I'm looking where I can get parts for this chipper. Anybody know? If there is something you need to know about either of these chippers I'm here to help.

Kaptain K. I found a manual for the Fitchburg chipper. I ordered it yesterday. Will have it in a few days.
cosmicmadman235: did you ever get that Fitchburg Manual? I'd love to know where I can order one, as I am trying my best to adjust the spring feed plate, knives and anvil correctly; otherwise, my old chipper just chokes on whatever I put in it's throat! Thanks if you can help.

I need a manual for an old Fitchburg chipper. How can I get one?
Thanks
Steve I recently was followed home by a M-B Fitchburg chipper, the guy also had all of the paper work to go with it.
Chipper and motor stuff.
Your knives need to clear the spring loaded feed plate by .060-.070.
Next the knives need to clear the "anvil" or bed knife, the fix one on the bottom by .004-.005.
I had a hard time getting the second one set, mine are a little more open.
But way better than it was, I suspect it was never sharpen or adjusted.

Latest posts

Back