Need help changing bar and chain size. Current is 20 inch, want to go to 16 inch. .325 .058 72DL 20 inch bar and chain currently.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
NO PPE, He is too SMART for that, well that is how we end up with nonsensical regulations, people getting hurt using tools they have no business running.

Gads, I TRULY HOPE, that he is just a Troll, and not the next statistic.

And the winner is.........
MMBIWITl.jpg

Yep, I don’t know the Stihl line, but a Husqvarna 445, would be a quality homeowner grade saw that would last him many years

The MSRP IS $339.95, but I got my Wife’s 445 for $305 without even trying to dicker with the dealer, he quoted the price when I asked for the saw, No Complaint from me, it has been a Great saw.

Doug

Yep, I don’t know the Stihl line, but a Husqvarna 445, would be a quality homeowner grade saw that would last him many years

The MSRP IS $339.95, but I got my Wife’s 445 for $305 without even trying to dicker with the dealer, he quoted the price when I asked for the saw, No Complaint from me, it has been a Great saw.

Doug
You are absolutely correct , may be a bottom shelf unit , however would fill the bill for a backyard form of saw . Especially for a newbie ...plus would have some form of Dealer support .... if req,d !

It is disheartening to see someone being shamed for being young and inexperienced. If he had started out with a question about a bar and chain, and left out the saw and it's origin and price there would have been 10 guys chiming in with proper advice. As it stands the only advice he has received is ridicule. The guy bought a saw. The guy had a question. Now he is treated like less than human for his skill set, his age, his experience, and his purchase..... That is the shameful part.

To the OP... The most important number on the bar is the .325, this describes the pitch of the chain which is determined by the sprocket on the saw. Whatever length you choose, make sure the pitch (.325) is the same. Next number is the guage. You said it was .058. that describes the "track" that the chain goes in. Now there are several different guages you can buy, just make sure the guage of the chain matches the guage of the bar. A wider chain won't fit into a narrow "track" and a narrow chain will come out of the "track" while running and potentially cause harm either to you or the saw. Lastly is the drive Link count. This number represents the length of the bar. Beyond that there are many choices in types of chain. There are low profile chains which have a narrower kerf (the width of the cut) and there are safety chains (which I would recommend given your experience) they have an extra piece on the cutting link that will cause the teeth to not cut on the end of the bar (which is how kickback is mostly generated). When you decide to purchase your shorter bar, make sure it has a matching chain and you should be ok. As far as filing it, there should be guidance on the packaging as far as diameter of file you need and angle of the "grind".
Once you get past all of that.... Truly listen to the advice that has been given about safety. I know we all think we are bullet proof, but tragic accidents happen in a fraction of a second. Just be careful. I (we) urge you to gain knowledge of the tool and the profession and build from that knowledge your own experience, then use that experience down the road in a safe manner.
I agree with you that you don't "need" to buy an expensive or "name brand" saw for what you are doing, if this saw works for you then that's ok. But the support behind it is going to be slim to none if you are planning on making money with it, there will be greater challenges because of the lack of support, but that is something you and only you have to deal with.
The advice about a sharp chain is something you need to listen to. A shorter bar doesn't make it less dangerous. A dull chain will cause you to make cuts in a more dangerous fashion because it will cause you to work harder and put more strain on the saw than is necessary. Do some research on sharpening them there is a ton of information on YouTube. Once you get that figured out you will see the difference between a dull chain and a sharp chain could be "life saving" so to speak. Good luck. And don't get discouraged. But do put your safety in the highest priority.

It is disheartening to see someone being shamed for being young and inexperienced. If he had started out with a question about a bar and chain, and left out the saw and it's origin and price there would have been 10 guys chiming in with proper advice. As it stands the only advice he has received is ridicule. The guy bought a saw. The guy had a question. Now he is treated like less than human for his skill set, his age, his experience, and his purchase..... That is the shameful part.

To the OP... The most important number on the bar is the .325, this describes the pitch of the chain which is determined by the sprocket on the saw. Whatever length you choose, make sure the pitch (.325) is the same. Next number is the guage. You said it was .058. that describes the "track" that the chain goes in. Now there are several different guages you can buy, just make sure the guage of the chain matches the guage of the bar. A wider chain won't fit into a narrow "track" and a narrow chain will come out of the "track" while running and potentially cause harm either to you or the saw. Lastly is the drive Link count. This number represents the length of the bar. Beyond that there are many choices in types of chain. There are low profile chains which have a narrower kerf (the width of the cut) and there are safety chains (which I would recommend given your experience) they have an extra piece on the cutting link that will cause the teeth to not cut on the end of the bar (which is how kickback is mostly generated). When you decide to purchase your shorter bar, make sure it has a matching chain and you should be ok. As far as filing it, there should be guidance on the packaging as far as diameter of file you need and angle of the "grind".
Once you get past all of that.... Truly listen to the advice that has been given about safety. I know we all think we are bullet proof, but tragic accidents happen in a fraction of a second. Just be careful. I (we) urge you to gain knowledge of the tool and the profession and build from that knowledge your own experience, then use that experience down the road in a safe manner.
I agree with you that you don't "need" to buy an expensive or "name brand" saw for what you are doing, if this saw works for you then that's ok. But the support behind it is going to be slim to none if you are planning on making money with it, there will be greater challenges because of the lack of support, but that is something you and only you have to deal with.
The advice about a sharp chain is something you need to listen to. A shorter bar doesn't make it less dangerous. A dull chain will cause you to make cuts in a more dangerous fashion because it will cause you to work harder and put more strain on the saw than is necessary. Do some research on sharpening them there is a ton of information on YouTube. Once you get that figured out you will see the difference between a dull chain and a sharp chain could be "life saving" so to speak. Good luck. And don't get discouraged. But do put your safety in the highest priority.
Unfortunately , sometimes the truth is a hard pill to swallow . You have given very prudent advice , however I do not believe anyone has responded without just cause . Especially Philbert , who offered genuine and correct advice within his 1st post . I also gave valid advice even , reiterating your recommendation of visiting a local dealer to size up an appropriate replacement b&c . Additionally after his response to Philbert I gave the o.p the benefit of the doubt and stated my opinion of the Bluemax saws he questioned accordingly . However no response just further insults to other forum members . I seriously do not believe the jury is out on this one bud ! I think his intentions have become quite clear within this matter , some people have to learn the hard way !!

Listen here, I am very budget minded and frugal. That tends to happen when you are dirt poor and have friends who give you money so that you can buy tools to make a garden (hugelkulture log raised bed) for your disabled mother whose biggest joy in life is gardening. Sorry that I do not have the money to pay for a $600 overpriced saw. Sure it may last a life time but Ive heard reports of ppl buying them brand new and having them in the shop a week later! Most name brands are manufactured in china or have parts that come from there. Also I love harbour freight and use their tools first before anything else and have had great experience with them. I do not expect a $150 tool to be equally as good as a $600 tool. However the fact remains that we are NOT discussing the tool itself yet its accessories or addons. As far as the tool goes I am satisfied with the purchase and soon to be purchase. The hostility is from you. I have my reasons for saying and doing what I have and didnt want to get into them as all I needed was some help with my query. Something you have neglected to do at all and instead attacked me for my preferences. Maybe I just like trying new things that are not the popular option. Maybe I cannot afford the PRO gear. Maybe I am not a PRO. Maybe I just wanted some advice that wasnt the obvious choice of buy expensive ****! One last thing too as Im all fired up! I DO NOT USE PROTECTIVE GEAR! SHOCKER! I am not a safety sally, I pride myself in having control and restraint of the tool I am using. A self taught habit/skill that I have needed to learn in the absence of having money to purchase the proper safety gear for every situation. I am a man of many hobbies and skills. None of which I master as most of the time they are a means to and end due to not having the money to either have someone else do it or to replace/fix something. So I improvise, I learn the skills that it takes to do it myself. I am no pro and I am no expert but I can do my research and learn a long the way. I had hoped that by signing up on this site to post for help that I couldnt find by searching google that I would get my answer without hostility. So goodbye and good riddance! Next time why dont you try and be helpful instead of inserting your opinion. If you dont have the answer I need then keep moving.
Dingo you came for advice and got it. As a matter of fact you got a lot of good advice.You don't want to wear PE that's fine. Send us pics from the ER..As far a telling one of the most knowledgeable members to keep moving you have a lot of nerve. I haven't had to hand one of these out in a long time. Please fill out and return.
1586183191542.png

It is disheartening to see someone being shamed for being young and inexperienced. . . . As it stands the only advice he has received is ridicule. . . . Now he is treated like less than human for his skill set, his age, his experience, and his purchase..... That is the shameful part.

That is not an accurate representation of this thread's progress at all.

You are correct that if his only question was, 'how do I identify the correct guide bar for this saw?', he would have received different responses. But, his first post asked for advice and input - this was not something folks just came up on their own, due to a bias against younger posters or to cheap, Chinese saws:
Hi I am very new and young (23 years old) and just started out cutting trees and using a chainsaw a week ago. . . . Please let me know if you need any more information or can give me any haha.

Then he asked about other saws, referenced his inexperience again, and some of his assumptions:
What saw would you recommend if I were to consider buying a name brand? . . . I am currently running a saw of the same design just a lower spec engine and it runs amazingly well. No issues starting it, plenty of power just a bad bar and chain. I refuse to pay over $200 for a chainsaw that is lower powered just because its name brand. . . . I am not experienced with small engines or rather any engines for that matter . . .

You made some inaccurate assumptions in your first post:
. . .Apparently most of the people didn't read your question past that part.
I read his entire post before responding, looked up the saw he referenced, and spent some time trying to offer him advice. His later posts show that his mind was already set :

To be quite honest there is no name brand saw under $250 that I would even consider buying. They are either made of plastic or under powered. If I am to make such an expensive purchase the tool must be of very high quality and capability.
In other posts he rambles about his first 'Chinese' (his description) saw being a fine saw that 'starts up like a champ! ', but he is returning it anyway; that he does not know how to sharpen a chain, but will buy a larger saw to overcome that; that he just wants it 'to do some yard work or small DIY projects ' with a 60cc saw and a short bar (which he thinks will balance better and cut 'like a hot knife through butter'); that all 'name brand' saws are plastic, under-powered, and die in less than a year; that he is likely to continue to make mistakes and dump them via returns so that he has no responsibility; that cheaper is better; etc., etc., etc. Somewhere, experienced suggestions for spending his $200 better became '$600 saws' (in his mind).

And that we are here to serve him:
If you dont have the answer I need then keep moving.

Your carefully worded, and thoughtful advice was likely wasted. He wanted someone to give him a link to the cheapest, 16" / .058 gauge (?) bar and chain combo that would fit the saw he has not bought (or returned) yet; to give him endless technical support that he will not get from buying a 'non-name brand' saw; and to blame when none of it meets his expectations.
To the OP... The most important number on the bar is the .325, this describes the pitch of the chain which is determined by the sprocket on the saw. Whatever length you choose, make sure the pitch (.325) is the same. Next number is the guage. . . . Truly listen to the advice that has been given about safety. I . . . Do some research on sharpening them there is a ton of information on YouTube. . . .

Likely he has moved on by now, but you might send him a PM and develop your relationship there. If it is posted in these open, public forums, participants will offer their advice and feedback. It is not a concierge service.

There have been many threads here where people have fun, or report positive experiences, with the cheap 'Chinese' and clone saws, such as the returned Earthquakes, the Huztl or FarmerTec 'complete parts kits', etc. Lots of guys who openly admit that they are looking for the lowest cost option. But that is not the trail that the OP left here.

Philbert

Unfortunately , sometimes the truth is a hard pill to swallow . You have given very prudent advice , however I do not believe anyone has responded without just cause . Especially Philbert , who offered genuine and correct advice within his 1st post . I also gave valid advice even , reiterating your recommendation of visiting a local dealer to size up an appropriate replacement b&c . Additionally after his response to Philbert I gave the o.p the benefit of the doubt and stated my opinion of the Bluemax saws he questioned accordingly . However no response just further insults to other forum members . I seriously do not believe the jury is out on this one bud ! I think his intentions have become quite clear within this matter , some people have to learn the hard way !!
I never said one thing about your advice, and I don't care about his intentions. I simply commented about the ridicule he is receiving for his purchase, his age and his skill. If you perceive that I was calling you out for any reason I sincerely apologize.
Whatever his intentions, I wanted him to have information rather than shame for asking.

You are correct that if his only question was, 'how do I identify the correct guide bar for this saw?', he would have received different responses. But, his first post asked for advice and input - this was not something folks just came up on their own, due to a bias against younger posters or to cheap, Chinese saws:

Then he asked about other saws, referenced his inexperience again, and some of his assumptions:

I read his entire post before responding, looked up the saw he referenced, and spent some time trying to offer him advice. His later posts show that his mind was already set :

In other posts he rambles about his first 'Chinese' (his description) saw being a fine saw that 'starts up like a champ! ', but he is returning it anyway; that he does not know how to sharpen a chain, but will buy a larger saw to overcome that; that he just wants it 'to do some yard work or small DIY projects ' with a 60cc saw and a short bar (which he thinks will balance better and cut 'like a hot knife through butter'); that all 'name brand' saws are plastic, under-powered, and die in less than a year; that he is likely to continue to make mistakes and dump them via returns so that he has no responsibility; that cheaper is better; etc., etc., etc. Somewhere, experienced suggestions for spending his $200 better became '$600 saws' (in his mind).

Your carefully worded, and thoughtful advice was likely wasted. He wanted someone to give him a link to the cheapest, 16" / .058 gauge (?) bar and chain combo that would fit the saw he has not bought (or returned) yet; to give him endless technical support that he will not get from buying a 'non-name brand' saw; and to blame when none of it meets his expectations.

Likely he has moved on by now, but you might send him a PM and develop your relationship there. If it is posted in these open, public forums, participants will offer their advice and feedback. It is not a concierge service.

There have been many threads here where people have fun, or report positive experiences, with the cheap 'Chinese' and clone saws, such as the returned Earthquakes, the Huztl or FarmerTec 'complete parts kits', etc. Lots of guys who openly admit that they are looking for the lowest cost option. But that is not the trail that the OP left here.

Philbert
I think his question about another saw was rhetorical... But my perception only. And to you I say as well I wasn't calling anyone out on their advice, rather their scoff for asking a question. His intentions may be one thing or another, but any question is deserving of an answer, and I agree with him in the fact that if a person doesn't have the answer then just don't say anything especially if it is degrading. I do agree that it got escalated quickly and didn't need to which never helps any situation. Your advice is good advice as was a lot of other advice, but the question was not answered before it became an argument.

Wtf is this intended to mean??? Exactly the ridicule I was referencing. I'm a fuggin bridge dweller now for offering information? Or is he the bridge dweller for working within a budget? Either way this kind of sh1t helps noone.

Looking through this thread and seeing the reactions and perceived (?) attitude of the OP, he seems to be trolling, hence the bridge dweller reference. It's a nice way of saying "don't feed the troll".
Thank you for explaining your reference as it went right over my head. My apologies for taking it the wrong way.

I think his question about another saw was rhetorical... But my perception only. . . .

You are correct that we respectfully disagree, or have different perceptions. When reading his first post he strongly implied (my perception) that his reasons for swapping the bar were based on faulty assumptions. So, rather than helping him into a hole, folks tried to offer him some helpful advice, based on his broader request (referenced earlier).
I want to change the bar and chain due to 20 inches being hard to control and maneuver., also I heard that having a shorter bar and chain gives the saw more power.

You gave him straight advice on the bar tail mount in an early post, as did I. But he had already launched into his attack on 'name brand' saws and his expectations to get quality stuff while buying the cheapest, before that.
. . . If you are looking for a shorter bar, I would recommend you take that one in to a store that sells chainsaws and ask someone for help there. . . .
Welcome to A.S. . . . Since it is a 'no brand' saw, the guide bar specs will not likely be listed in the guides. AFTER you buy it, you can compare the profile against some other saws. . .

. . . . but any question is deserving of an answer, and I agree with him in the fact that if a person doesn't have the answer then just don't say anything

This is a 'no-win' situation; his questions deserve answers, but it is our fault when he does not like the answers? People provided him with opinions, recommendations, advice, and suggestions (the closest thing you get to answers on a free, open forum, like this). He asked about identifying bar tail mounts. He asked about running different bar lengths. He asked about different saws under $200. He got answers to all of those. People went beyond and offered insight into questions that he did not know to ask yet: some people might call that 'nosey' or 'intrusive' - others might see it as trying to help a guy out before he makes mistakes.

Philbert

Philbert
Yep , pretty well sums it up unfortunately !

You are correct that we respectfully disagree, or have different perceptions. When reading his first post he strongly implied (my perception) that his reasons for swapping the bar were based on faulty assumptions. So, rather than helping him into a hole, folks tried to offer him some helpful advice, based on his broader request (referenced earlier).

You gave him straight advice on the bar tail mount in an early post, as did I. But he had already launched into his attack on 'name brand' saws and his expectations to get quality stuff while buying the cheapest, before that.

This is a 'no-win' situation; his questions deserve answers, but it is our fault when he does not like the answers? People provided him with opinions, recommendations, advice, and suggestions (the closest thing you get to answers on a free, open forum, like this). He asked about identifying bar tail mounts. He asked about running different bar lengths. He asked about different saws under $200. He got answers to all of those. People went beyond and offered insight into questions that he did not know to ask yet: some people might call that 'nosey' or 'intrusive' - others might see it as trying to help a guy out before he makes mistakes.

Philbert
Agreed. Good luck to all involved.

I never said one thing about your advice, and I don't care about his intentions. I simply commented about the ridicule he is receiving for his purchase, his age and his skill. If you perceive that I was calling you out for any reason I sincerely apologize.
Whatever his intentions, I wanted him to have information rather than shame for asking.
lmao , I never said you said anything about my advice ? only that I had reiterated your 1st post , bar advice to him . As for his intentions ? you should care , they were rather obvious from the various appropriate responses ... re: calling me out ? Going to have to do better than that for us Irish , lol. All Good Bud !

Latest posts

Back