Need help choosing a new saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Got a one time discount through work for Echo machines. Which should I get?

• CS-450-18 @ $303

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • CS-490-18 @ $277

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • CS-590_20 @ $311

Votes: 7 87.5%

• Total voters

Paul_DE

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have been reading through threads for days here and i think i have a bit of information overload. I am trying to decide which saw to purchase to replace my current unreliable Craftsman 16" 38cc i bought years ago for $150 to clear a couple of small ornamental trees that fell in the yard. I have since moved to a larger and more wooded lot. We have a large outdoor fireplace that we use a ton so I'm always on the lookout for downed trees I can get for free. I only take about 2-3 trees a year (pin oak, red maple, tulip poplar, sweetgum) but I'm having a tough time getting through 16"-20" trees with my current saw. I want to get a decent saw but for what I am using it for, I don't want to break the bank. My budget was $300 but I keep creeping up toward the $400 mark as I read through these forums. Here are a few saws in my budget I was considering. Thoughs? Suggestions?

Echo
CS-490 $350
CS-590 $400

Husky
440 (Factory Refurb) $220
445 $330
450 Rancher (Factory Refurb) $282

Makita
EA4300 $370

Stihl
251 $340
250 $360
271 $399

.... I would not hesitate buying a husky 450 for that money as long as the warranty was the same as for new.
That is of course only my opinion.
I have owned two good huskies and two good stihls.

.... I would not hesitate buying a husky 450 for that money as long as the warranty was the same as for new.
That is of course only my opinion.
I have owned two good huskies and two good stihls.

Thanks for the response. I really want the Echo 590 but its a bit more than I wanted to spend. The Husky 450 looked too good to pass up at that price but it could be a gamble too. The refurb is from a frequently mentioned website on these forums. I think it has a 90 day warranty but need to confirm.

If it’s the seller I’m guessing it is, the warranty appears to be 30 days. If it were a power boat that might bother me. But, the older I get the less I worry over “but what ifs.”

You must do what you are comfortable with. I think any of those saws listed would serve you well.

Perhaps watching reviews of each on YT might help?

From your choices, if you're predominantly into 20"wood, then 60cc is the way to go - Echo CS590

If you're only rarely into anything over 15" wood, then EA4300 or the CS490 with muffler mods are my choices, with the clam shell Stihl 250 as possible runner up.

I'm not a fan of heavy to handle rancher type saws.

Thanks Dahmer. The nearest one is only about 40 min away but I would have to wait until June to get it. I can get one now for $311 shipped.

I love Husqvarna but the 450 rancher is heavy! Any echo i have used always worked well and felt solid, Good luck with what ever you choose.

Thanks for the input. I think the Husky 450 Rancher is actually the same weight at the Echo 450 and 2lbs lighter than the Echo 590. That is the only thing I am questioning about the 590 is the hefty 13.2lbs w/o B&C.

The 590 is 1.5 pounds heavier than the 450 but is also a 60 cc, not a 50cc.

Yeah, im not debating the Husky 450 Rancher vs the Echo 590. For $29 more, I would much rather go with the brand new and more powerful 590. The only other 2 saws I am considering are the 450 and the 490 in the poll above.

Yeah, im not debating the Husky 450 Rancher vs the Echo 590. For $29 more, I would much rather go with the brand new and more powerful 590. The only other 2 saws I am considering are the 450 and the 490 in the poll above.
I voted 590, but if the 450 and 490 are the only two you are considering, I'd go with the 490.

If i could do it all over again I might go with the echo 590. I have a husky 450 xtorq. It is real reliable and starts by the 3rd pull every time. It does whatever I ask and can take a beating. My oiler crapped out on me not long after I bought it. I replaced it with an adjustable oiler from a 350xp. Other than that I have not modded the saw because it runs great. The muffler is wide open from the factory which is unusual. It's a decent saw and great on fuel.

Back