Need help from experienced tree fellers

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

660catman

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I’ve got a broken poplar in a row of trees running north/south. It’s got a double trunk which starts right at the bottom.
88e63516e52f334c28184a2861de8281.jpg

I can’t drop it north as there’s a power line going to neighbours yard.
8c9d4bfe9954505a99695c0cfa36a84e.jpg

I can’t drop it west as my sheds are right there.
5ee21dde36274827a30a0298790308bd.jpg

I was hoping I could drop it going south between the rows of trees with the help of a strap tied halfway up tree.
e3a9b55756069c26492db88684bcda59.jpg

I also want to cut the other half leaning north towards power line and drop it between rows. Any loose tree branches in the row will be tied back to minimize damage.
Is this doable? I’ve dropped a few trees and a big one leaning towards a house with my Stihl 026.

Take all this with a grain of salt because evaluating this stuff from pictures on the internet is far from foolproof.

Dropping a tree at a right angle to its natural lean is much easier than getting it to fall opposite its natural lean. Even with mechanical advantage on pull lines, etc.

Dropping a tree between the rows of trees in your picture is likely just going to leave you with a difficult mess of a hung up tree and nowhere for it to go. What will you do if this happens?

Can you move the shed(s)?

A pro would most likely come in with a bucket truck if the access is good enough and cut it apart into small enough pieces to rig down or just drop. Climbing it and cutting from there would be another alternative if the tree is still in good enough condition for climbing.

It catching is a concern. And yes it’s hard to see in pictures but all the trees lean out from the row except one that is 30’ away. For sure it will catch on that one. I have 5’ between rows.
I have no access as a septic field is in the way and moving portable shed will not help. You can see the two above wood shed. It won’t drop without hitting tree to the right and then onto wood shed. Tree is set back about 68’ from front of my garage.
I could get a scissor lift in there if I really have to as long as they run on gravel.
Thanks for replying.
1fdf75cf4b41e9af3593ff0e41e12d9c.jpg

save yourself the worry and hire a pro....more often than not, just letting them get the tree on the ground and walk away might not be as costly as you think....tree guys dislike cleaning up.....do you really want to damage something, get a tree hung up, or rip down a wire ???....pinch your pennies elsewhere.....just my humble opinion...good luck in whatever you decide....:cheers:

The more I think about this the more I want to hire someone. I did talk to hydro a couple of years ago and they said they would come drop the lines if I wanted to cut trees down. I’m sure this tree broke in winter. Not sure why anyone would plant tall trees right along power lines.

Back