Need Help. Fruitless Mulberries

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kikoanne

Reaction score
After last year's summer drought and heat, then an usually wet winter, my 3 huge fruitless mulberry trees have yellowing leaves with brown veins. Thereupon, of course, the leaves drop. No new ones are appearing. The tops of the trees seem green and a lot healthier. Leaf drop has slowed after the use of fertilizer spikes, iron, cornmeal, and something locally called Garrett Juice (a noxious smelling mixture of manure tea, molasses, and liquid seaweed, spiked with garlic-hot pepper juice), but the leaf drop still continues Any ideas?

Fruitless mulberry often drops leaves during dry weather. There may not be a problem with the tree. I've never heard of Garrett Juice. It sounds like some kind of hangover remedy.:D

Thanks for your reply. Believe me, Garrett Juice smells as bad as it sounds, but a Dallas Morning News garden guru swears by it. Maybe someone should ask him about using it as a hangover remedy.

Would dry weather leaf drop include brown veins in the leaves as a symptom?:blob2:

I'm not sure if mulberries are susceptible to anthracnose, but that's what your symptoms sound like. Have you been letting the fallen leaves lie under the tree during the winter. This allows the disease to spread and reappear in the new growth. Anthracnose will thrive during a cool, wet spring followed by an early summer. The best control is to rake up and remove fallen leaves to reduce the spores available for reproduction.

Latest posts

Back