Need help on which Power head decision, 395XP, 661, or save some $$ on a CS-800P

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tdmiller12

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Trying to decide which power head to get to upgrade my milling setup, which is a Grandberg 30". I current using a Echo CS-590 with a 24" bar. Works okay, but really slow. I have narrowed it down to Husqvarna 395XP, a Stihl 661, or should I save about $400 and go with the Echo CS-800P. I have been pleased with my Echo, so I am fine with any of these brands. I am leaning towards the 395XP, just not sure if the extra 13cc's are worth the added expense. Any thoughts? If they are worth it, any opinions on Husky vs Stihl for milling? The opinions that I have gleaned so far is that Husky would be better for milling and Stihl is better for crosscuting.

I do have a Homelite XL-800, which is about 80cc. I was hoping to use it as a milling saw. I think it might be better suited as a back up saw. It has spent a whole lot more time on the repair bench than in wood. I have a trip coming up to some family property where I can do some milling. Would rather spend that time being a sawyer than a mechanic.

Aside from the front chain adjuster, the 395xp is a far superior milling saw. Oils way better. Outboard clutch keeps a lot of heat away from the cylinder.
Thanks. I was in the process of buying a 395xp, but the transaction fell through. So searching again.

Using the same bar length, has anyone milled with a 80cc and a 93cc power head. I know there is more more to it than just cc. It is just a big price jump to go to that higher level of power. Just want to make sure it is worth it. Thanks.

I know someone who milled some with a dolmar 7900. Said it was a great mill saw up to a 28 inch bar, but beyond that was 395 territory. He has also milled with 660s and 661s. My current setup is a 50 inch double ended bar with a dolmar/makita 6421 on each end pulling square ground chain. I have 36.5 inches of cut and it'll pull it through oak as long as the chain is sharp. The best part is I have well under 1000 in the entire setup. Saws, bar, granberg, 100 ft roll of chain, and chain breaker/spinner. The square grinder cost more than all that, but it isn't just used for milling.

I know someone who milled some with a dolmar 7900. Said it was a great mill saw up to a 28 inch bar, but beyond that was 395 territory. He has also milled with 660s and 661s. My current setup is a 50 inch double ended bar with a dolmar/makita 6421 on each end pulling square ground chain. I have 36.5 inches of cut and it'll pull it through oak as long as the chain is sharp. The best part is I have well under 1000 in the entire setup. Saws, bar, granberg, 100 ft roll of chain, and chain breaker/spinner. The square grinder cost more than all that, but it isn't just used for milling.
Thanks Rob. That sounds like an impressive setup. I was thinking about two head setup. I am leaning toward the 395. That would allow me to use some of the equipment that I already have.

Out of the 3 saws listed the 395 would be my choice. I've never used one with a mill with one but I have "hillbilly-milled" a slab to use as a turtle raft with one. With a sharp, non-milling chain and a 32 inch bar it flew right through the log and it wasn't too heavy to hold up and feed simultaneously. @Rob Stafari, why don't you use your 2100 on your mill? With the manual oiler and large displacement it should be one of the more ideal stock mill saws out there, right?
IMG_3643.jpeg

Back