Need help picking one of these chainsaws.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spruce488

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Looking to buy my first saw. I've used them in the past, just never owned one myself. I have a number of oak trees and stumps to remove from my property. Don't worry everyone, I wont be sticking the saw down into the dirt, I have a old sawzall for the roots. I've been looking for a used, pro model that can handle some occasional days of heavy use. I found a guy on Craigslist selling the following saws, asking for $250 a piece (he sounds negotiable). I placed them in my order of interest, but looking for advice from someone with experience.

He says they all work fine with no major issues. 18 or 20 inch bars on them.
Granted they all are work as he says they do and are in similar condition, is the CS2165 the one to get?

Jonesred CS2165 (read great things about this one)
Jonesred 630
Husqvarna 55 rancher
husqvarna 51

$250 is a great deal for the 2165 if it is clean and has good compression (I sold mine for $350 and could probably have gotten more judging by how quickly it sold). I wouldn't pay nearly that much for the Huskys. Do not know enough about the 630 to comment.

I have owned a 625 and a 670. They were both good saws. The 630 is a little faster and stronger than the 625 and not quite as strong as the 670 . A good running 630 would be worth $ 250. If I remember right the 630 had about 4.3 hp. It is an outboard clutch saw and the 2165 is an inboard clutch saw.

Thanks for the advice! After thinking long and hard about, as well as annoying my wife with nothing but chainsaw talk for the last 2 days, I think I'm going to pass on the used chainsaws and pick up a new one. Everything I'm reading makes it clear that a saw only runs as good as it is treated. I'd prefer the peace of mind knowing exactly what my saw has been through and that it has been properly used and maintained.

There is a good local dealer/ authorized repair shop near me where I can pick up an Echo CS-590. Only $200 more for a new saw, with a five year warranty.

Good choice. Echo makes great stuff and you are supporting a local business. What you said is correct, you are buying new and if you treat that saw well it will last many many years. Welcome to AS and the addiction of saws!

Back