Need help poulan 361

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ccrain

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Ok i can buy a poulan 361 not firing for 15 dollars.Do these have points or not?Would it be worth getting?I actually bought a mini mac one time guy said it wasent firing.Turns out it did fire.

For 15 USD I'd grab it. They have conventional points ignition (Wico magneto) and are an easy fix. Just file/sand/hone the contacts to a high shine, adjust the gap and you will have excellent spark.

Rings are another easy fix as the size is 1 25/32" x 1/16" (IIRC) which is close enuff to a standard metric number offered by 'The Greek'.

Only disadvantage(?) is the manual oiler.

Happy with a 18" or 20" bar.

Last edited:
I see your lips moving, but I can't hear you!!

I love my 361. Thump pumping is no big deal. But it's LOUD. The neighbor across the river came over just to see what I was running that could make so much noise.
I use ear plugs and 29db ear muffs.

Bought my first one in 1979 and still have it. Sports a 16" bar and I found a brand new chain in the box when I moved. I haven't run it in years (a new 3400 replaced it in about 1983) and it didn't see much action after that. For $15 In my neighborhood it would already be mine.

It needs cleaning, new fuel lines and some work on the recoil.

McCulloch640002.jpg

Got this one as well.

PioneerP-20Poulan361010.jpg

Last edited:
ive been reading various posts for months now looking for answers. More than half the time i was able to figure things out from others wisdom. Im mechanically inclined but these small motors are a different animal. Ive been tring to stick to some of the same make saws looking to see similarities but i keep buying different brands just becausr its a solid model of the make.. You seem to lime the poulans so im asking for advice. I bought a dayton 17in 50+ year old saw pratically brand new. Poulan 361. So when i bought it im convinced old gas killed it. The put full choke on 1 pull and it would have kept running i believe if he would have slid the choke to half quickly. Thats how strong it turned over. After that it never started again. I toom the screws off the top of tge choke( first person to ever do that) and it loomed decent. I tired to force to to run by drowning it with starter fluid after changing tbe gas pf course. Unconventional buti gpt itto run without any good trigger response by running it with one carb screw removed. Basically i wad just able to keep it running. I cant even figure out how to remove the carb for cleaning. Its so clean from observing tge top that it doesnt need rebuilt. I know i seem like a lost cause but id appreciate if ypu could tell me something

I see your lips moving, but I can't hear you!!

I love my 361. Thump pumping is no big deal. But it's LOUD. The neighbor across the river came over just to see what I was running that could make so much noise.
I use ear plugs and 29db ear muffs.
Sorry for bothering you but your a man that can actually help me ive been hitting alot of dead ends

Bought my first one in 1979 and still have it. Sports a 16" bar and I found a brand new chain in the box when I moved. I haven't run it in years (a new 3400 replaced it in about 1983) and it didn't see much action after that. For $15 In my neighborhood it would already be mine.

It needs cleaning, new fuel lines and some work on the recoil.

McCulloch640002.jpg

Got this one as well.

PioneerP-20Poulan361010.jpg
Funny im new to this sport and have a question for you. Heres my generic paste ive posted around.ive been reading various posts for months now looking for answers. More than half the time i was able to figure things out from others wisdom. Im mechanically inclined but these small motors are a different animal. Ive been tring to stick to some of the same make saws looking to see similarities but i keep buying different brands just becausr its a solid model of the make.. You seem to lime the poulans so im asking for advice. I bought a dayton 17in 50+ year old saw pratically brand new. Poulan 361. So when i bought it im convinced old gas killed it. The put full choke on 1 pull and it would have kept running i believe if he would have slid the choke to half quickly. Thats how strong it turned over. After that it never started again. I toom the screws off the top of tge choke( first person to ever do that) and it loomed decent. I tired to force to to run by drowning it with starter fluid after changing tbe gas pf course. Unconventional buti gpt itto run without any good trigger response by running it with one carb screw removed. Basically i wad just able to keep it running. I cant even figure out how to remove the carb for cleaning. Its so clean from observing tge top that it doesnt need rebuilt. I know i seem like a lost cause but id appreciate if ypu could tell me something.
My othef question for you is that i also have the exact 3400 from 83 is the date on the saw. It was bought new from a homeowner so it hasnt been beaten to hell and backbut the man used it for more than just his own property. So my dayton 361 clone looks like i just went back to the 60s and grabbed it off the shelf at the hardware store. I know parts are tough but its brand new. My question is which would you grab out of the garage if there sideby side. The weight balance serm pretty identical. Any type of reply id appreciate

Funny im new to this sport and have a question for you. Heres my generic paste ive posted around.ive been reading various posts for months now looking for answers. More than half the time i was able to figure things out from others wisdom. Im mechanically inclined but these small motors are a different animal. Ive been tring to stick to some of the same make saws looking to see similarities but i keep buying different brands just becausr its a solid model of the make.. You seem to lime the poulans so im asking for advice. I bought a dayton 17in 50+ year old saw pratically brand new. Poulan 361. So when i bought it im convinced old gas killed it. The put full choke on 1 pull and it would have kept running i believe if he would have slid the choke to half quickly. Thats how strong it turned over. After that it never started again. I toom the screws off the top of tge choke( first person to ever do that) and it loomed decent. I tired to force to to run by drowning it with starter fluid after changing tbe gas pf course. Unconventional buti gpt itto run without any good trigger response by running it with one carb screw removed. Basically i wad just able to keep it running. I cant even figure out how to remove the carb for cleaning. Its so clean from observing tge top that it doesnt need rebuilt. I know i seem like a lost cause but id appreciate if ypu could tell me something.
My othef question for you is that i also have the exact 3400 from 83 is the date on the saw. It was bought new from a homeowner so it hasnt been beaten to hell and backbut the man used it for more than just his own property. So my dayton 361 clone looks like i just went back to the 60s and grabbed it off the shelf at the hardware store. I know parts are tough but its brand new. My question is which would you grab out of the garage if there sideby side. The weight balance serm pretty identical. Any type of reply id appreciate
Check your inbox for the 361, 3400 service manuals and ipls. Ask the Poulan questions here
https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/poulan-thread.98495/page-2606#post-6973351

Latest posts

Back