Need help selecting trees to plant.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charrbe

Reaction score
My family and I recently moved into a newly constructed home in MN (Zone 3). We are responsible for planting 3 trees on the property. I'm having a really hard time deciding what trees to plant. We will have 1 tree in front yard, and would like to plant 2 shade trees in the backyard. Eventually I would like to install a fence and line up some tree for additional privacy. I'm leaning towards Maples because they change color in the fall But to be honest I have no idea what I'm doing as I'm a complete novice. Thanks in advance

Talk to your local garden center with good reputation or call your university . They will be very helpful with best trees and worst trees. I wouldn’t want a soft maple. Keep in mind the final size of the tree your going to plant and where your water/sewer/electric services are located.

With no information on the size of the lot and the open space it is impossible to give any meaningful advice. A tree appropriate for a 1 acre lot that will be 150 feet from the nearest structure will not be the same as a tree going on a postage stamp lot and which will be located 10 feet from the house. Way too many people plant a nice looking tree they get at a nursery and in a few years find it is crowding the house, towering over the roof, filling the gutter with debris, and threatening damage when a branch breaks in a storm.

Yep, as was said above, you've got to provide more details about the space. A satellite view marked with potential planting spots and rough dimensions would be excellent here.
How much room do you have for it to spread?
How tall can it get without being a hazard?
Do you want anything besides shade? Like: Flowering, or something that doesn't drop a lot of seeds/nuts, etc...

Latest posts

Back