Need help to identify Stihl chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joecanadian

Reaction score
Hey guys,

So my Dad has been giving me....sorry....."passing down" to me all of his older tools (which is awesome) and he's giving me this Stihl Chainsaw and he says that he remembers getting it back in the 80's, possibly early 80's. Can anyone help me potentially identify it. I have a smaller Stihl, and while it's good for trimming branches and smaller stuff, I'm looking to purchase a chainsaw mill to make my own boards and if I remember correctly, this chainsaw he's giving me seems pretty big. It's got an 18" bar, but my dad said I could definitely put a longer bar on it (If I can even find one that would fit it).

Any help would be much appreciated. I'm really trying to find about what the CC's are on this sucker. I'm sorry for the photo. He's bringing it up from Florida this spring.

Thanks!
JoeIMG_4174-preview.JPG

08SEQ
49mm bore
32mm stroke
electronic ignition
quickstop chain brake
.404 .063 chain
very generous, continuous oiling system, if the saw is running its pumping oil
tough as tanks, vibrate like an earthquake , I love em..

thats the last version i need to round off my 08 collection. i remember the non brake ones from i was a kid, they were constantly trying to take a piece of my face out when i wasnt careful of where i put the tip of that damn thing..

yeah, must be a very late 08S as it has the chain brake on it. I have an 08S with no brake. Looks like a really nice saw!!!! I'd be proud as heck to own it. I have my grandpa's 08S and love to start it up just to hear it run. what an awesome sound!!!!!!

It was the last in the08s series then it was discontinued.. They last forever as long as you keep oil in the mix.. The oldest one I bought was the 08 which was the first in the 08 series.. The piston rings were seized in the cylinder.. I removed and cleaned the muffler... Put oil in the plug hole till the rings let go... As old as it was with original cylinder and piston... It made 127 psi compression.. Not great but it fired up and ran.. They really are tough saws.. The ones I'm restoring will be in hands of my sons long after I'm dead and buried..
Worth holding on to.

Latest posts

Back