need help with DRT ascending setup (yo Moss!)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, I'm curious. Is every asymmetrical Prusik considered a Schwabisch?

You could describe a Schwabisch as an asymmetrical prusik (ok I'll give in and spell prusik the right way). Can't say that the rule you stated above would always be true. If the tails exited the hitch at the top it would be an asymmetrical prusik but it wouldn't be a Schwabisch. Right?
-moss

You could describe a Schwabisch as an asymmetrical prusik (ok I'll give in and spell prusik the right way). Can't say that the rule you stated above would always be true. If the tails exited the hitch at the top it would be an asymmetrical prusik but it wouldn't be a Schwabisch. Right?
-moss

So what advantage does the "Swab" have over the Frenchie? I have a knot book that lists these knots as follows:

French Prusik: beginner climber's knot level 1

Swab: beginner climber's knot level 2

Distel: beginner climber knot level 3

Interesting.

So what advantage does the "Swab" have over the Frenchie? I have a knot book that lists these knots as follows:

Interesting.

Here's a link to an interesting research report about friction hitches and stress testing from the UK:

Ropes and Friction Hitches used in Tree Climbing Operations

by Paolo Bavaresco, Treevolution

Abstract:
This report presents the results of a research project carried out into ropes and friction hitches commonly in use in tree climbing operations in the United Kingdom. The ropes and friction hitches in question are used by arborists as part of roped systems for ascending into trees, positioning themselves within trees, and descending from trees.

The background to the research project is described in some detail, followed by a discussion of the results and conclusions based on the findings. The data arising from the various tests are presented in full in tables at the end of the report and in summary within the body of the report.

Last edited:
Very interesting, but in my feeble opinion it seems to miss the selection criteria that most climbers would apply. Do I care how many thousands of Lbs/Kg my hitch would support or do I care that it breaks and slides up easily and grabs super-reliably?

Nah, of course not ... just an interesting compendium of various hitches to pick from ... IMO there's only one criterion to pick one hitch over another ... does it work for me!!! I've tried 'em all and picked the one that works!!! :cheers:

Interesting.

I think it's all meaningless. There are so many variables. Try out different hitches, see which one works best for you. Agree with Single-Jack.
-moss

Last edited:
I think it's all meaningless. There are so many variables. Try out different hitches, see which one works best for you. Agree with Single-Jack.
-moss

I was using a French on bee-line with 5 loops yesterday and she was a ##### to advance up the climb line. Going to try a Swab next climb.

Back