Need help with flowering crabapple

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ccondon23

Reaction score
I've got a flowering crabapple that is looking terrible. It's been this way for a few years now. It first started looking bad following a year where it got ravaged by gypsy moth caterpillars, but that's likely a coincidence.

The leaves are sparse and have rust colored spots on them. The bark has a fair amount of moss and lichen (or something) on it, despite the amount of sunshine the tree gets. (See pics below.)

Any thoughts on what could be wrong and whether or not the tree is salvageable?

Thanks,
Chris

tree1.jpg
tree2.jpg
tree3.jpg
tree4.jpg

Most crab apples in my area have the Apple Scab fungus and look similar to yours.
The trees can be sprayed, not sure what with these days.
Since crabapples are quite hardy trees, most seem to just keep looking terrible year after year.

Most crab apples in my area have the Apple Scab fungus and look similar to yours.
The trees can be sprayed, not sure what with these days.
Since crabapples are quite hardy trees, most seem to just keep looking terrible year after year.
Agree but I see cedar apple rust maybe someone can give a way to tell the difference between it and scab etc

Difference doesn't matter too much...treatment is the same. Treat with fungicide every +/- 2 weeks as soon as the leaves start to break bud until they are hardened off. Usually that is 3 sprays.

Captan, Reliant, Eagle, 3336, Copper fungicide, Tourney, etc... all work.

Nothing to do now. Run from anybody who tries to sell you a foliar fungicide treatment now. Needs to be done in the spring.

Back