Need help with fuel line on 372XP

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jtheo

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I checked the fuel line on my 372 and it was cracked in several places, so I pulled it out through the gas filler opening.

Is there some method of pushing the new fuel line in that I don't know about.

I have a shop manual and it says push the line into the tank and that"s all it says.

I have the tank off the saw and a new fuel line from Bailey's.

Problem is no way can I get the line to go through the hole into the tank. I have used oil and wd40 and the line just will not go.

I gave up for today, I'll have another go at it tomorrow.

Thanks for any help or suggestions.

I checked the fuel line on my 372 and it was cracked in several places, so I pulled it out through the gas filler opening.

Is there some method of pushing the new fuel line in that I don't know about.

I have a shop manual and it says push the line into the tank and that"s all it says.

I have the tank off the saw and a new fuel line from Bailey's.

Problem is no way can I get the line to go through the hole into the tank. I have used oil and wd40 and the line just will not go.

I gave up for today, I'll have another go at it tomorrow.

Thanks for any help or suggestions.

Cut at angle and use hemostats or long nose pliers. A little lube dont hurt.:givebeer:

I use a piece of wire and thread it through from the carb area and out the gas cap. Then i thread the new gas line onto the wire right up through the gas tank. You can push it right through the hole with a little wiggle of the wire.

Thanks guys, I should be able to get it done with all these suggestions.

I should have thought of at least one of these tricks. But I didn't.

I don't know what will keep this thing from leaking unless it just the tight fit of the fuel line through the plastic. The parts list shows a rubber gasket, but there was not one on this saw, and not room for one either, the fuel line looks a tad bigger than the hole in the tank.

Got the fuel line in today.

Here's what I ended up with. Cutting the fuel line at angle was a big help, but I still could not get it in far enough to get hold of with pliers.

Nest move was tie a no.4 finishing nail to some strong fish line, then punched a hole in the tip of the fuel line and tied off the line.

The nail dropped through the entry hole for the fuel line and right out the fuel filler hole since the fuel tank was on it's side. Then with some oil on the fuel line, it pulled right on through.

Laid the saw on the clutch side for about an hour to see if I would have a leak where the fuel line entered the tank. No leaks.

I had a set of Wiha tools from Bailey's that had just come in, and it is nice to have some good tools to take one apart and put it back together.

The best sound I heard today was the saw starting up and running good since this was my first time on replacing the fuel and impulse line.

Thanks guys for all the good advice that I got on this.:):cheers:

I am having the same problem, I tied hefty fishing line to the end and oiled the fuel line, I just rip the end of the fuel line when I try to pull it through! Help!
The tank is not that hard to drop. Two bolts and limiter bolt. You can remove carb, loosen four carb plate bolts and lift it. Cut line on an angle, push line in, grab with set of forceps inside of tank and pull through.

Cut the hose at a sharp angle, so that it's pointed on the end. You'll be able to get it started and pull it right through.
I've done it this way for years on lots of saws, all the way back to old McCullochs. It works, and a little lube on the end usually helps also. Two thumbs up, Brad.

Thank you, I replaced the fuel line, finally! Prior to this the saw was losing power and dying. It had a new fuel filter and new fuel. I have also changed the impulse line. Now it will not start, the spark plug is dry? Tips?

Sounds like you may need a carb kit. If the plug is dry, you are not getting fuel. You can put a little mixed fuel in the spark hole and see if it will fire. Sometimes this will get a saw going.
But most likely you are going to have to clean and rebuild the carb.

I was hoping it would not be a rebuild carb? I sprayed some starting fluid in the spark hole and it ran for a few seconds. Thank you for the reply!

Don't use starting fluid in saws. Typically if the fuel filter and fuel line are in working order if you remove the fuel line from the carb gas will squirt out. Don't open the the gas cap first because you will loose the pressure in the tank. You can just draw a vacuum on the fuel line. Then you will know if gas is getting to the carb. Then you will have a better idea where to start.

Not sure what that is?
Fuel tank has a vent to allow air into tank, so it does not cause a vacuum and make saw stall. Does your saw have a line coming through carb plate and plugged into nub on plate. Or is yours a white plug type on clutch side of tank below fuel line entry?

Fuel tank has a vent to allow air into tank, so it does not cause a vacuum and make saw stall. Does your saw have a line coming through carb plate and plugged into nub on plate. Or is yours a white plug type on clutch side of tank below fuel line entry?
Yes thru carb plate and to a nub I will double check it's still attached thank you

Back