Need help with Shelter Belt!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Loccus

Reaction score
My parents live on an acreage about 45min south of Calgary, Alberta. They are trying to establish trees throughout their 10 acres. Problem is the wind!!! For at least 15 out of 24hours in a day, there is a constant wind ranging from 30km/h to 90km/h. This wind not only causes the trees to have to be staked well, they still are constantly wind whipped and dried out severely. My Dad has been getting trees from the forestry including poplar, spruce and pine. These are ranging from 1-4feet tall. Trees are constantly dying!! The soil is good, root feeder has been used and he gives them a good watering once a week. Nothing seems to live or last very long. Any suggestions? My Dad is considering building a shelter and potting his replacement trees for a year to protect them from the wind. Any types of trees he should try? Also, cut offs from his poplars seem to grow quite well sitting in a pail of water. He's been told he could also just plant those? Would that actually grow? Any help would be great!! Thanks

Willow and poplar are hardy trees adapted to growing quickly where their seed or cuttings find terra firma. However, they are also brittle, and considering your winds there, (I have travelled the area) they may prove to be more of a long term problem. I think you must be pretty close to the dry areas of Alberta on the lee of the Rockies.

I don't know off hand what to recommend. Spruce (white, Norway)are somewhat resistant to descication, and will meet the needs of your windbreak, but I'm not sure. Balsam fir trees have a wax on their needles to help retain moisture, but are brittle too. What species are well established there now (in the area)? Perhaps Darin may have some insight here as he is closer to you than me and may have a western species in mind that may work and survive. Are you in/adjacent to the bad lands area?

Their acreage is about 45min south of Calgary, then about 20min West towards the mountains. Kindof where the prairies are meeting with the foothills. My Dad hasn't had too much trouble with trees breaking, just being almost burnt with the harsh winds. Being in a praire location, very few natural trees besides farmers and their shelter belts seem to be in the area. And on their property is what looks like large dark coloured spruce and some type of large bush. Would anyone suggest a large wind screen? Any idea where to get one, or build one? Thanks

I would recommend a spruce or some sort of evergreen. Willow and poplar would be ok, but in the winter wouldnt provide any shelter. I am in the Rocky Mountains so I know the wind problem. We have Ponderosa, Blue spruce, and scotch Pines here. As far as your wind break screen, not my dept. Couldnt help you there. As far as your watering, spruce and pine dont tend to take much watering. Poplars need water constantly. Thats why they are quick growers. Pine and spruce dont transplant too well either, but there has to be some reason why these arent living. Are they just drying out so fast because of the wind? Just like you and me, things can dehydrate, even trees. I would try to plant your poplars, but keep the very wet the are used to it in the bucket. My luck with that has never been to great.
Darin

I heard an interesting statistic today on the Ed Lawrence show on the CBC. A windbreak of evergreen trees has been reported to cut the heating costs of homes by 10-15 percent, once established. That suprised me, but wind is a terrific cooling agent.

Ya - I too was thinking about Colorado Blue Spruce or Norway spruce or one of the varieties/species of western spruce. I reflected and I don't think a fir will survive there.

Watering

So say he sticks with trying spruce, any size have the best chance for transplant, and how often should he water in this windy location?

[Edited by Loccus on 05-09-2001 at 12:03 AM]

I guess the windier, the smaller the tree that should be planted. The tree can not handle a lot of stress when transplanted, that is why it is better to do it in the early spring or fall when tranpiration is lower and the roots have less stress on them while they adapt and repair. Probably no more that 3-4 feet tall, and you can shelter something that size if you must. Good luck.

Latest posts

Back