Need Help With This Wood I.D.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My first suggestion of ash is clearly wrong with those splits. Gum twists as it grows and is near impossible to split by hand. Hickory, while stringy, grows much straighter and pops open on the first swing. You then have to swing the axe 20 more times to cut through all the fibers holding it together. But as Jed and Wolf pointed out they both have dark hearts. I have seen light wood all the way thru on limbs of each so that doesn't rule them out. Elm was also mentioned and it also has a stringy nature but without a dark heart. However the Elm I have has a much rougher bark like locust.

What does it smell/taste like?

My first suggestion of ash is clearly wrong with those splits. Gum twists as it grows and is near impossible to split by hand. Hickory, while stringy, grows much straighter and pops open on the first swing. You then have to swing the axe 20 more times to cut through all the fibers holding it together. But as Jed and Wolf pointed out they both have dark hearts. I have seen light wood all the way thru on limbs of each so that doesn't rule them out. Elm was also mentioned and it also has a stringy nature but without a dark heart. However the Elm I have has a much rougher bark like locust.

What does it smell/taste like?
Gumwood. I aint so sure all of it has dark heartwood?

Back