need help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mozgov55

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
what is a hot rodded saw in terms of logging not that **** piltz has and not the hot saws for racing but logging hotsaws what do they do to them? been told to hot rod my 572xp don't know what that means in terms of an actual usable saw

what is a hot rodded saw in terms of logging not that **** piltz has and not the hot saws for racing but logging hotsaws what do they do to them? been told to hot rod my 572xp don't know what that means in terms of an actual usable saw
There's multiple levels of modifying, and the sky is the limit as to how far you want to go...

in order of craziness

Muff mod, open up the exhaust port and delete any baffles (this alone does wonders)
port/polish if done correctly it can alter the port timing and increase fuel/air flow is fairly reliable if not done overkill
aftermarket intake stuff (if your going to mess with air/fuel flow, you will need more air.
advance ignition timing this is hit or miss, sometimes its a good thing some times its just a bad idea, this could also fall into ignition mods, like some ignitions are governed... etc
"pop up piston" and cutting the cylinder base coupled with heavy mod to the port timing this is a pretty intense process, but does yield an ass kicker of a saw
then you have multitudes of "big bore" kits that then get all the above treatment.
there is also the custom built cylinders with removable heads, and tuned exhaust, I have seen folks use these in the woods, but its been awhile and its really not cost effective...

Now, for my money, a Muff mod and a mild port gets a reliable saw that cuts good all day.
most of my saws are nearly stock with the exception of my standard muffler mod, removing the baffle, and opening up the exhaust hole about 1/3 bigger, occasionally I get time and I'll mildly port em... don't remember which I have and haven't... cause it doesn't make much difference, just a little more top end, the muffler mod does way more.

some of the other stuff the saw can start to run hot, and run the risk of melting a piston.

as for the big bore stuff... its pretty much all after market chinesium and in my opinion not worth the effort or money, largely cause you loose a lot of compression in the process

There's multiple levels of modifying, and the sky is the limit as to how far you want to go...

in order of craziness

Muff mod, open up the exhaust port and delete any baffles (this alone does wonders)
port/polish if done correctly it can alter the port timing and increase fuel/air flow is fairly reliable if not done overkill
aftermarket intake stuff (if your going to mess with air/fuel flow, you will need more air.
advance ignition timing this is hit or miss, sometimes its a good thing some times its just a bad idea, this could also fall into ignition mods, like some ignitions are governed... etc
"pop up piston" and cutting the cylinder base coupled with heavy mod to the port timing this is a pretty intense process, but does yield an ass kicker of a saw
then you have multitudes of "big bore" kits that then get all the above treatment.
there is also the custom built cylinders with removable heads, and tuned exhaust, I have seen folks use these in the woods, but its been awhile and its really not cost effective...

Now, for my money, a Muff mod and a mild port gets a reliable saw that cuts good all day.
most of my saws are nearly stock with the exception of my standard muffler mod, removing the baffle, and opening up the exhaust hole about 1/3 bigger, occasionally I get time and I'll mildly port em... don't remember which I have and haven't... cause it doesn't make much difference, just a little more top end, the muffler mod does way more.

some of the other stuff the saw can start to run hot, and run the risk of melting a piston.

as for the big bore stuff... its pretty much all after market chinesium and in my opinion not worth the effort or money, largely cause you loose a lot of compression in the process
thank you

diD yUo kNoW yUo cAn pUt a 64 iNcH bAr oN a mS 180c?

Wut?

well actually... it would be difficult and expensive, as the ms180 has the small mount pattern... so you would need a custom made bar... not to mention the 64" bar alone would be custom made, cause most go 60" to 72" and you would maybe even be able to spin the chain around... but cutting anything besides flesh and air would be interesting at best

and I know you are joking and I can't help myself correcting... its why i don't have like a lot of friends lol

Like most engines they are built to a budget. This doesnt account for absolute precision. Also some noise emissions come into it.

Opening up the muffler can actually do your saw a favour. It helps it the breath a little better. Then there is working on the shape of ports, matching etc which helps them to flow a little better. Then you can take it to the next step and optimise the port timing.

All these things done correctly will not lessen the life of the saw. In most cases it will add to its life expectancy.

Just make sure who ever does your porting knows what they are doing. And ill tell you now, not everyone here who claims to be a ‘porter’ are not even a pro porters arsehole. A hint, some porters here are loggers and they dont self promote. They are the ones that would get my dollars!

Back