Need new splitting maul.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I tried taking pictures and uploading them it said file to big for the website.
The head on the helko @4 lbs and the handle is longer than the fiskers.
Both are awesome helko sightly edges out fiskers but the fiskers price is better.
The stilh is good but its not worth the money. If you post a cell # I will picture text you the pictures sorry for the trouble.

I have a tru value with a head just like yours after you redesigned it it also works well but mine has a straight handle which I dont like but the others work better in my opinion which aint worth much

I have taken the contours down a little further since then and it works very good now.

Gransfors Bruks Splitting Maul. Expensive, but well worth the money.

Hogbear
Thanks for the pics. How do you like the Stihl maul? (posted by itself) That is one of the mauls I am interested in. Does it get stuck in the round often? Will it usually handle most of the knotted, stringy, generally dificult rounds? It was made by Ochsenkopf, Ox-Head in Germany.You will find ID stamped on the top or bottom of the head. Has the wood handle been a problem? Do you think the handle will last?
Thanks
Tom

Click on my avatar picture and watch my video!
Fiskars Super Splitter last for ever, and make you last for ever too!!

Great video,good job. That bungy and rope are a good idea also. I often used an old tire,I'll have to try your bungy idea.

I have a boy that breaks handles all the time,he has not quite got the hang of it. I bought a couple of those rubber donuts,made to put on a sledge,and put them on the maul. They really help by protecting the handle.

When I split by hand I like using a Chopper 1. This might not work as you expressed an interest in mauls only and I believe the Chopper would be considered an axe. I personally don't really care whether it's called an axe or a maul, the only thing that matters to me is performance and longevity.

Probably a stupid question but I assume you all are splitting somewhat freshly cut wood? I have an old maul that doesn't split worth a damn. I just assumed it was because the wood I'm splitting is fresh cut with high moisture content. Are you telling me the Super Splitter will handle this wood no problem or does wood need to sit for awhile?

Thanks

What works for one might not another but the fiskers ss with the bigger head and the helko both have made quick work of large green rounds. Look up Ackerman video, I think thats right.

When I split by hand I like using a Chopper 1. This might not work as you expressed an interest in mauls only and I believe the Chopper would be considered an axe. I personally don't really care whether it's called an axe or a maul, the only thing that matters to me is performance and longevity.

that a nice spliting ax thanks for info first time i have seen that one

Gransfors Bruks Splitting Maul. Expensive, but well worth the money.

Ironbark
Do you have the Gransfors Bruks Splitting Maul? If you have used one, how did it perform? Have you used it on difficult to split rounds,ie,knotted seasoned, twisted grain? I was conserned that the handle might not last. The tool really felt nice and the quality seemed top notch. Will it split? I dont think I could bear to hammer a wedge with it. I have several sledge hammers for that.
Thanks
Tom

Latest posts

Back