Need opinions on John Deere Tractor FORESTRY CAGE?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is what ROW clearing contractors use. Should be a bunch on the used market down your way. I have never seen one with a FEL though.

Ron
Seen orchard tractors set up like that, a big question are you going to pop stumps if so that'll teat up a tractor fast doing Christmas trees our grinder will blow transmissions.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Recommend to consider forestry tires as well. Tractor tires are usually fairly thin and sticks will rip the sidewalls easy.

That bottom cages tractor looks to have skidders tires?

Both skidders we run are "powershift". 7 or 8 forward, (I forget, the numbers are worn off and I normally only pull in 4th or 5th), 4 reverse. Have to clutch between F and R... well... it's best to. Hard on the machine otherwise... but can shift between the gears without clutching.

I have the time to do it myself when I am off

Envy your ambition. Am a retired old fart -- if I had 40 (forty) acres to do I'd probably spend less time and $$ buying a broken down old D6 or so and rebuilding it vs trying to do 40 acres with a 2 ton machine.

Well, OTOH, maybe I'd spend a couple of weeks building a remote control operator for 4-6 ton tracked dozer (JD440/350; D3 or similar) and do the clearing from a nice rocker on the porch, or let the grandkids drive it from their laptop <G>

OP didn't say anything about stumps just piling brush and some tractor work in the woods. Something really big or on tracks needed for stumps,

I've been out of touch with this stuff for yesrs. For true land clearing, D8s with rakes was about standard when I was a boy. Then large wheel loaders with rakes took their place in most sandy soil work.

Ron

OP didn't say anything about stumps just piling brush and some tractor work in the woods. Something really big or on tracks needed for stumps,

I've been out of touch with this stuff for yesrs. For true land clearing, D8s with rakes was about standard when I was a boy. Then large wheel loaders with rakes took their place in most sandy soil work.

Ron
Sorry Ron I'm thinking out here we pop stumps well clearing and piling brush just can't avoid it. Another thing would be hardwood clean up vs pine or fir limb clean up big difference in amount and spread of limbs.

yeah no stumps being pushed up here. most of the time people are doing that is when theyre making new ground (ag fields).

the logger cut the stumps real close to the ground so they will be no issue. plan to burn the clear cut off next winter...to dry right now..

i wish i could afford equipment..costing my over $20000 for my tractor. dont know how farmers and other folks buy equipment so fast and have it paid off. itll take me 5 years or more to pay this off.

i was using a ford 3000...destroyed the body on that thing in the woods mowing and harrowing firebreaks..and got stuck a lot too

It may be a regional thing. What I was hearing was work similar to power line ROW work and rough pasture maintenance. Stumps usually remain in place. 35 years ago my little brother pulled a chopper with a wore out skidded. Didn't see tractors outfitted like shown back then; pretty common now. Ron

i wish i could afford equipment..costing my over $20000 for my tractor. dont know how farmers and other folks buy equipment so fast and have it paid off. itll take me 5 years or more to pay this off.

i was using a ford 3000...destroyed the body on that thing in the woods mowing and harrowing firebreaks..and got stuck a lot too
My newest piece of equipment is a 2005 135 kobelco, my harvester is 20 years old with 17.5k on it and have to Replace it but work is steady that's key.

My newest piece of equipment is a 2005 135 kobelco, my harvester is 20 years old with 17.5k on it and have to Replace it but work is steady that's key.

you must be a small timer because it seems everyone is big time around me.

new tractors, etc nearly every year.

you must be a small timer because it seems everyone is big time around me.

new tractors, etc nearly every year.
Small? I thin for a living and hand cut big wood you could almost crawl in. I do what's around as well as my own wood, I thin for Weyerhaeuser now, we don't buy new stuff every year if an operator is doing that you need to look at them good.

Small? I thin for a living and hand cut big wood you could almost crawl in. I do what's around as well as my own wood, I thin for Weyerhaeuser now, we don't buy new stuff every year if an operator is doing that you need to look at them good.

If someone has a line on work paying good enough for new gear every year pm me the number! I'm in.

I see youre a logger.

Well loggers arent usually the ones with new equipment but i was meaning farmers.

My bet is the farmers lease the stuff season to season so they don't have to make payments on nonessential winter gear. I do it with a lot of my big stuff that would otherwise sit during the months December-March.

I see youre a logger.

Well loggers arent usually the ones with new equipment but i was meaning farmers.
Lol I know lots of loggers here that turn stuff on a 2 year basis with all the emissions stuff and what not they won't work on them.

My bet is the farmers lease the stiff season to season so they don't have to make payments on nonessential winter gear. I do it with a lot of my big stuff that would otherwise sit during the months December-March.

That could be quiet true.

Though I see many buy acres and acres of land and clear it up yet complain there is no money in it.

Back