Need opinions on John Deere Tractor FORESTRY CAGE?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Being a land owner and a contractor I don't complain why would you.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Something I've found that landowners don't seem to get is the cost of prep work and then maintenance to keep the 2000 acres they just bought making them money. And how many crops it takes to make money on property.

I don't complain about land until it's time to try to fit all my stuff into the small lot the shop sits on

Need some help and opinions about building a cage/skid plate on my John Deere 5205 MWFD tractor.
Farm tractors are difficult to build skid pans & shielding for, there are very few mounting points and no real frame to work off. I spent a lot of hours on a creeper under mine coming up with a plan. I just use mine to gather firewood and mowing to keep my access roads open on my own property.
I've had the tractor high centered on rocks / stumps quite a few times and the belly pan is doing its job. The plate is only 1/4" but there's a lot of steel backing it up on the side you can't see. The sweeps and canopy have already saved my head a few times. Are you looking to fab this up yourself? DSCN1807.jpgDSCN8253.JPG

Farm tractors are difficult to build skid pans & shielding for, there are very few mounting points and no real frame to work off. I spent a lot of hours on a creeper under mine coming up with a plan. I just use mine to gather firewood and mowing to keep my access roads open on my own property.
I've had the tractor high centered on rocks / stumps quite a few times and the belly pan is doing its job. The plate is only 1/4" but there's a lot of steel backing it up on the side you can't see. The sweeps and canopy have already saved my head a few times. Are you looking to fab this up yourself? View attachment 540391View attachment 540392

yes all fab work myself. that looks good but ill probably have guards around the engine too and expanded metal around the cab

Need some help and opinions about building a cage/skid plate on my John Deere 5205 MWFD tractor. I use it in the woods a lot and nearly poked a hole in my oil filter last week cleaning up in our clear cut. Ive already had a stick poke up in various spots nearly getting something destroyed. Already had one stick sneak under my front grille guard and went through my grille...only thing which saved the radiator was the battery being in front of it.

I also plan to get a backhoe for it and it will have a subframe. BUT I plan to remove the subframe when not using the backhoe and rebolt up my skid plate.

If you have any opinions..let me know! I NEED TO GET THIS DONE. Have a big clear cut to push slash up in piles so Id like to get something built.

Below are pictures of my tractor and various spots around it that can be destroyed easily.
For what you're wanting you might build your own cage for the hood and under carriage. Only thing I would suggest is putting hingable access doors in more then one spot. Repairs in field will go much smoother.

Hey 711ac, that's a nice belly pan setup on that Kubota. I give it a big LIKE. Took me a minute to figuire out what the two rings were for on the front pan, and then I remembered there's two oil drain plugs. Way Kool!!

The best bonus with that project was my little storage box & a nice big passenger step on the other side.DSCN7632.JPG

I'm only at 800 hours, and I'm not taking pics of the sheet metal dings:laugh:
(I only use it on my land for firewood & access road maint.)

Back