Need solutions for log skid.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twillie2460

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I’m currently in the final phases of a diy log skid. Should I build the pulley on the top or bottom of the of the skid. I had planned on mounting the winch on the top and a pulley just extended out from the arch end far out enough to clear the arch. My issue with that is not sure how to keep the cable in the middle if I’m to pull the log from a distance. If I hang a pulley the bracket would keep the cable from pulling to one side or the other but that could be in the way of the brace to keep the log from swinging in the front. Here is a picture of what I got to date and any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• 695AC797-DF93-45F3-AFC5-850ED5FE57F6.jpeg
    695AC797-DF93-45F3-AFC5-850ED5FE57F6.jpeg
    6.9 MB · Views: 10
What about putting the winch on the forward (mostly) vertical bar and running the line parallel underneath of the top horizontal bar. At the rear have a fixed pulley pushing the wire down 1/8-1/4”. Directly behind that a pulley that will swing left and right with the arc staying in plane of the first pulley.

Well I had it stuck in my head that the winch needed to be on top until a friend suggested I mount it under the top bar and it worked out great. But that is exactly what I did. That’s a 9 ft by 24 in red oak with the log skid. Thank you for the reply much appreciated.

Attachments

• 4DF0E6B6-98A2-4834-B41A-3DAF5AE6E8DD.jpeg
    4DF0E6B6-98A2-4834-B41A-3DAF5AE6E8DD.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 16
Back