Need Some Advice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike mandry

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Well, I got burned on ebay again. Bought a saw & finally got it (5 weeks after my check cleared)

The dumb@$$ packed it in a trash bag & just threw it in a box (bar was removed)

Luckily, it did not get beat up too bad

Of course it was listed as a good running saw ("I just got done using it, runs great......")

A) the stud & bracket that hold the air filter cover is gone.

B) Air filter is gone

C) fuel line & bracket is gone

Other than that, it is in decent shape, just needs the usual TLC

Debating on whether to raise hell, or just bite the bullet & live with it.

That depends on what the saw is worth. I just bought my Jonsered 920 on eBay from Dozerdan, and of course the saw was exactly as described. But for $160 it should have been a nice saw.

I also bought a Homelite EZ, where all the parts were there and the guy told me it didnt run. What he didnt tell me was that the Walbro carb would come to me in 12000 pieces and that the saw had an air leak making it impossible to tune.

I left neutral feedback because it was a $25 saw and I kind of got what I deserved.

I guess I am trying to say it all depends on the description and how much you spent, as to how much hell you want to raise.

Certainly negative feedback is in order

It was a Homelite SXL925. I already have one, & love it, but I figured another would not hurt for a parts doner.

Saw has very low hours & i paid big money for it ($165)

The fuel line grommet & bracket that holds the metal line on the tank are missing, as well as the air cleaner cover mounting stud/bracket.

Well I would email the guy first and list a price for the missing items. Maybe he will send you a small refund. I had that happen on a 009 I bought. It had a bad recoil and fuel line when I rec'd it. The guy sent me a check for $20 I think.

If he wont do a refund, file a complaint with eBay and leave negative feedback.

You should be upset and take these first steps. Maybe you will get lucky like I did and not have to go too far

Yep, I figured I would email him first & be Mr nice guy before I raise hell.

Based on his feedback, he is pretty incompetent.

He had good F/B when I was bidding. After i won & waited & waited &..... I watched the neg F/B come rolling in.

We'll see how it works out.

Thanks

MM

I bought a 009 once as a running saw, looked a little beat up in the pics, looked like it was beaten with a chain when I got it!. The saw ran but the crankcase was broken where the jhandle attaches (not visible in pics). I e-mailed the seller and gave him the option of refunding my money and I'd return the saw or give me half back and I'd keep it for parts, he chose option 2.

Hey Mike, who is the guy??? So the rest of us can stay clear. My experience has been mixed. I've bought some saws that were far worse than described. But I did get a couple of real deals. Sedman sounds like he did ok with his burn-bay. It was a smooth move giving the guy options before ya lower the cross hairs on his head. Hopefully as E-bay matures it will develope even more buyer protection. If I get another bad deal I will evaluate the purchase and probably do something similar to Sedman. Keep the faith! The Hoosier!

Sharpen your chain it's a jungle out there!!

I've done okay on ebay. I did get one"starts and runs good" saw that had a torn intake boot. I wasn't happy about it but I didn't raise a stink-it did start and run and a non saw person could easily be clueless about the airleak. $10 for the part and an hour installing it and adjusting the carb.:rolleyes:

Back