Need some advise from you Stihl folks

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob Nanney

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I just purchased a Stihl MS 261c and today was my first time using it.... the cold start was great ...no problems, but the restart was not what I expected..... it refused to start very easily....had to let it sit for several minutes before it would start....Checked the manual but no information on restarts....Will one of you who owns a 261 c or similar saw please give me some tips.....I've owned Huskys for the past 35 years and this is my first Stihl in a very long time....Really would appreciate some how to tips.... Thanks

I just purchased a Stihl MS 261c and today was my first time using it.... the cold start was great ...no problems, but the restart was not what I expected..... it refused to start very easily....had to let it sit for several minutes before it would start....Checked the manual but no information on restarts....Will one of you who owns a 261 c or similar saw please give me some tips.....I've owned Huskys for the past 35 years and this is my first Stihl in a very long time....Really would appreciate some how to tips.... Thanks
Maybe you have winter gas was the saw and gas can in direct sunlight around that time? Does it start when cool?

Just asking the obvious, and not trying to insult anybody, but did you choke it when trying to restart it when it was warm? Is the plug wet?

Good question...… I have been used to my 346XP which doesn't need anything before restarting....( I'm spoiled with this saw )……….. I didn't choke it yesterday but tried that today ad that might be the trick to restarting....glad you mentioned this ….. Thanks to everyone for the help...

Good question...… I have been used to my 346XP which doesn't need anything before restarting....( I'm spoiled with this saw )……….. I didn't choke it yesterday but tried that today ad that might be the trick to restarting....glad you mentioned this ….. Thanks to everyone for the help...
I think you misunderstood my questions. Typically you don't have to choke them after being warmed up, but many people do when they go to restart a saw, and then flood it. Either way, if it works it works, it if you have trouble getting it to start after a few pulls when warm, check and see if your plug is wet with gas.

My stock 261 was my absolute easiest saw to restart when warmed up. And I own a dolmar 421, so that's saying something. With mine, even after 15+ minutes of being shut off, you could push the decomp and lightly pull the rope and it'd come to life. Truly delightful for a small trim saw that gets turned on and off a lot. Anyway, I can't remember if it was like that from the get go, or only after break in. I hope your saw improves, but if not, there's something wrong with it or the fuel, because it shouldn't be that way.

Thanks guys I appreciate all the great input...… choking on restarts "seems" to help but being a brand new saw I'm sure it will take a little time for us to get to know each other....it has more plastic than I'd like but that helps save some on the weight,.... I removed the sprocket cover to clean it and the chip deflector fell off . I got it reattached....
As to gas it is possible that I got winter gas but I get it from a high volume station........ 93 octane and no ethanol....Thanks again

Thanks guys I appreciate all the great input...… choking on restarts "seems" to help but being a brand new saw I'm sure it will take a little time for us to get to know each other....it has more plastic than I'd like but that helps save some on the weight,.... I removed the sprocket cover to clean it and the chip deflector fell off . I got it reattached....
As to gas it is possible that I got winter gas but I get it from a high volume station........ 93 octane and no ethanol....Thanks again
I think I understand what you are doing now. Husqvarna saws typically return to the run position once you turn them off. Stihl on the other hand require you to push the selector lever down to the run position as it stays in the off position. Unless you are pulling the trigger and moving the lever down three positions, you are in run, and not choke, which you should not need to be in for a restart. Does this make sense?

I think I understand what you are doing now. Husqvarna saws typically return to the run position once you turn them off. Stihl on the other hand require you to push the selector lever down to the run position as it stays in the off position. Unless you are pulling the trigger and moving the lever down three positions, you are in run, and not choke, which you should not need to be in for a restart. Does this make sense?

It made sense on older saws, but the 261 switch returns to the run position after being turned off. When it's operating correctly, you should be able to pick up your saw, pull the rope gently and get back to work. No fiddling with the switch involved.

It made sense on older saws, but the 261 switch returns to the run position after being turned off. When it's operating correctly, you should be able to pick up your saw, pull the rope gently and get back to work. No fiddling with the switch involved.
Oh OK. The newest Stihl I have is a 271, and it doesn't return to run. Didn't realize the 261 did. Good to know.

Latest posts

Back