Need some help with a pioneer p26 saw I have.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pioneerman26

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I found this pioneer p26 saw in a barn about a year ago and I've had a hard time getting it going. I put the right kind of fuel mix in it. The Piston doesn't have any scoring on it. The problem I think is the carburator. I put a rebuild kit on it. I just don't,t know how to adjust the carburator. This is one that has only one low speed screw and one idle screw. I can sorta get the saw to idle and it will rev up when you squeeze the throttle but I usually does when I let go at full throttle. It also doesn't like it when I move the saw from side to side. Usually it dies when I do that also. I'm not really at repairing these sorta saws and I've had a lot of help from these forums before. Any advice would be helpful.

I found this pioneer p26 saw in a barn about a year ago and I've had a hard time getting it going. I put the right kind of fuel mix in it. The Piston doesn't have any scoring on it. The problem I think is the carburator. I put a rebuild kit on it. I just don't,t know how to adjust the carburator. This is one that has only one low speed screw and one idle screw. I can sorta get the saw to idle and it will rev up when you squeeze the throttle but I usually does when I let go at full throttle. It also doesn't like it when I move the saw from side to side. Usually it dies when I do that also. I'm not really at repairing these sorta saws and I've had a lot of help from these forums before. Any advice would be helpful.

Post it here
Pioneer chainsaws
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sh...threads/Pioneer-chainsaws.70698/&share_type=t

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How do I do a pressure and vac test. I'm kinda new to this.

The intake and exhaust must be blocked off airtight and then a source of vac applied, also a pressure test. A lot of us use the Mighty Vac 8500 tool to do this, other types will work also. If the engine has an air leak around the crank seals or base gasket, sparkplug or decomp valve this test will find it. The engine must be airtight to run properly.

Most people don't realize that they have the compression release under the recoil cover by the coil. If a bunch of crud gets in there, it can mess with it closing. A lot of times the tilt and idle down thing is air leak, but also can be a high float level in the carb I think.

Most people don't realize that they have the compression release under the recoil cover by the coil. If a bunch of crud gets in there, it can mess with it closing. A lot of times the tilt and idle down thing is air leak, but also can be a high float level in the carb I think.

Metering lever set too high will mostly cause flooding, there is usually an underlying problem if a carb will not perform as intended set at factory specs.

That was the great thing about small engine shops in Ky. back in the day. Most of them had a bunch of Pioneers in the junk pile, because it was real hard to get any parts, and the kid working on them proclaimed, "Ain't got no compression"!!!

Mine does have a decompression valve so I'll check that. On thing if e notice on this saw is that it has a chainbreak and most of the pioneer p26 saws I've seen don't. So I think my saw was one of newer ones they made.

Mine does have a decompression valve so I'll check that. On thing if e notice on this saw is that it has a chainbreak and most of the pioneer p26 saws I've seen don't. So I think my saw was one of newer ones they made.
If I may ask, what are you planning on doing with this 40 yr old saw?

If I may ask, what are you planning on doing with this 40 yr old saw?

They actually will cut very well, I know of two fellows just a bit older than me that still cut their firewood with small Pioneer saws. I have kept their saws up and running for over 30 years now and you couldn`t talk those gents out of using them. Same as a few others that use Homelite XL12`S and an old Craftsman from the same era, one old fellow still cuts his yearly wood with a SuperII, some just won`t give in.

They actually will cut very well, I know of two fellows just a bit older than me that still cut their firewood with small Pioneer saws. I have kept their saws up and running for over 30 years now and you couldn`t talk those gents out of using them. Same as a few others that use Homelite XL12`S and an old Craftsman from the same era, one old fellow still cuts his yearly wood with a SuperII, some just won`t give in.
I was curious as to wether an 18 yr old was starting a collection or building something to cut with. I have a young man that is my best friends son who uses an old Stihl to cut with, an 074 that I tuned up and brought back from the dead. He also runs a 394 Husky, there’s still those kind of kids out there keeping the old ways alive. I’m hoping this kids in that category.

Back