Need some help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fore those size trees I would get a Stihl 261, in fact I would buy 2 of them so when one gets dull you can set it down and keep cutting. I have 25 or so saws. I bought 2 new 261's recently and they are the only ones that get used much. I drop 20" plus ash with them on the regular. The 461 says in my toolbox until it's time to cut the logs into rounds then I set a fueled up 460 and the 461 side by side and cut logs up until the pile is done, usually 100 or so logs 13'2" long into either 16" or 32" long. I have lots of pictures posted on here of how I process the ash. I grew up working in a factory doing assembly type work and I do my firewood the same way. This is an old picture.

Attachments

• sawtree2.jpg
    sawtree2.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 22
After a spirited conversation with my bride we agreed on a two saw plan. My jonsered has a huge amount of sentimental value so basically it's a one saw plan. I sold my Stihl so I was thinking 60cc should cover my needs. I was really considering the echo 620 pw just because I can run a longer bar if needed once and a while where the 555 max is 20". I don't think I need a full pro saw but if you guys could pick one saw what would it be

Definitely skip the 460, the Echo CS-590 is superior in every way possible.

That said a good 50cc and 70cc saw combination is where it's at, if you have the $$
That's what I have in my stable. A 55cc and a 72cc. Both Stihls.
My old Craftsman 40cc saw is just for cutting junk up.
My pole saw comes in handy for arbor type work on my property too.

A couple of years ago I got a Husqvarna 450. Didn't use it until a little bit this year. We decided we were going to burn wood alot more so I bought some tree length. Well I ended getting a jonsered 2149 given to me which is essentially the the same saw. So I sold the 450 to my son in law. And he gave me 210 as a trade. So I have two saws.
My dilemma is I got 8 acres that are a mess from ice storms and a friend wants me to clean up at his 10 acre wood lot. So I got alot of wood cutting in my future. I don't think my 2 saws are enough. So I was thinking of getting a 545 or a 555. My friend friend swears by his xp. But he's a pro . And I'm not a huge fan of the silver. I just need some help. Looks like I'll be cutting 20 plus cord for next winter and I want a good saw. And I don't want to wear out my jonsered.
ms291 Black Cherry in Fall of 2016b.jpg Stihl 044 a.jpg IMG_20160928_115101980.jpg
Stihl MS291 - 18" bar / Stihl 044 18" bar / cases for travel and to keep the kids safe

A few yrs ago I was in the same boat as you. Needed a bigger saw but did not know what to get. I shopped Husky, Stihl, Jonsered, and Sachs-Dolmar. In the end I went with the Husky 365XT because I felt it gave me the most saw for the money. And as was said earlier, it can be turned into a 372 with little effort as it is essentially the same saw. I have had it for going on 8 yrs now and have even done some pro work with it for a logger neighbor of mine who ran short on help one summer. Spent 3 wks working for him running it about nonstop in all hardwoods, ash, cherry, oak, and maple. Only thing I have ever done to it is replace the pull starter as a couple teeth were getting worn and sometimes it would skip and jerk when you pulled it. Very pleased with it so far.

A few yrs ago I was in the same boat as you. Needed a bigger saw but did not know what to get. I shopped Husky, Stihl, Jonsered, and Sachs-Dolmar. In the end I went with the Husky 365XT because I felt it gave me the most saw for the money. And as was said earlier, it can be turned into a 372 with little effort as it is essentially the same saw. I have had it for going on 8 yrs now and have even done some pro work with it for a logger neighbor of mine who ran short on help one summer. Spent 3 wks working for him running it about nonstop in all hardwoods, ash, cherry, oak, and maple. Only thing I have ever done to it is replace the pull starter as a couple teeth were getting worn and sometimes it would skip and jerk when you pulled it. Very pleased with it so far.
I haven't pulled the trigger yet. I just want to get one saw that will do most. If it takes a little longer no big deal. I change my mind daily. I am looking at that saw. I shrink my list then it grows again. But the research is alot of fun for me. I'm gonna have my jonsered and whatever I get so I should be good

Only two of the saws I have/had owned have been new. Keep looking at craigslist facebook and here in the sale forum ect . Plenty of good saws for sale and you can have 2 for the price of one. I have majorly downsized my saw in inventory. As there were saws I rarely used because they were almost identical to others. This is what I have now. A Dolmar 7910 (millermod) 460 stihl,350 husky and the new 394xp. I do have some older shelf saws that run well but are just to nice to use20191113_195255.jpg
Need to update the sig

Yea I would go with 70cc saw. If ya want service, go to your local guy and buy the Husky.

I love my MS440....way more fun and faster than my Husky 55.

Back