Need someone with CAD to identify gaps in my saw line up!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some very good suggestions here,.
I guess at a minimum as I move along a log I need to be able to reach for a bigger saw in 2’ bar increments, starting from 10” up to 6’. Plus need a ported and non ported saw option for each step.
Now you're talkin' my language! You left out the "shelf" saws, but you can work your way towards that in due time. The important thing is; you recognize the NEED for many many different makes and models of chainsaws, and preferably multiples of each. :cheers:

So how about I port the Dolmar and bump it up to a 24” or 25” bar. That means I need 2 new saws one with an 18” bar and one with a 20” bar. They could both be ported but I would also need another all around saw with a 18” bar not ported as I live in suburbia. I cut up most of the wood out in the forest but sometimes have to cut bits which won’t split at home and I don’t think it would be appreciated running any size ported saw.
And yes there is a small gap between the 201 and the 550 which could be neatly filed with a 241.

My suggestion is to get a MS170 to establish a baseline for your collection then how far you want to go at the other end is just a matter of the size of your wallet (and arm:).
I was actually looking at those for a cheap light limbing saw that I wouldn't mind lending or getting destroyed. Then I started digging into the info and found that the MS211 is the exact same weight and had something like 1/2 horsepower more. Mine came set up for 18" bar with 3/8 lo pro full chisel (Stihl PS). 18" bar means I have to reach/bend less and it's not grabby at all. Only downside vs the 170 is it costs a little more but still cheap. I can limb with this cheap little thing all day. Anything bigger than 3-5" and I reach for my 361 but it feels like a boat anchor after running the little 211.

18” bar seems like a lot of bar for such a small saw. To me 18” would be 60cc territory , I wouldn’t even run that length bar on my 550.
Absolutely it is, if I were to ever cut anything more than a few inches. What the 18 does for me is keep me from bending down as much as I limb. If I need to cut bigger than 4 or 5 inches max I reach for a bigger saw. The MS211 was bought for one purpose, limbing, and it's perfect for that because it's cheap and light. The MS361 starts getting heavy after a while. This one just doesn't.

But.. I totally get you, there's nothing worse than a bar too big for the saw. Been there done that and backed away quickly.

Here’s my line up; Ms 201 (14” bar), with timing advance and muffler opened up. 550XP Mk 1 (16’ bar), stock. PS 6400 with OEM 7910 P&C but otherwise stock (20” bar). Mastermind Ms 661 (28” & 36” bars).
My latest addition is the 661, it’s my first ported saw, only run 3 tanks through it but it pulls like a freight train. I thought once I get the big saw I’d be done but I still have this empty feeling.

Help me... where are my gaps, what should I do? LOL
View attachment 920437
View attachment 920438
Everyone needs a clean 084

Especially if it looked like this one....... ports "cleaned up", squish set, West coast dogs, wrap bar, AV stiffened up a bit, bigger clutch cover, and a bark box. 28" bar!
View attachment 920661
Been doing some research on the ms400, not much info out there. People saying the 462 is only marginally heavier so why not go for the bigger saw. I would like to know how much smaller it is in physical size than the 462? On paper it’s lighter and more powerful than a 562xp but is it bulkier and does handle as well?
In any case you can’t get them here yet. This would probably be a sweet saw with an 18” bar.

Been doing some research on the ms400, not much info out there. People saying the 462 is only marginally heavier so why not go for the bigger saw. I would like to know how much smaller it is in physical size than the 462? On paper it’s lighter and more powerful than a 562xp but is it bulkier and does handle as well?
In any case you can’t get them here yet. This would probably be a sweet saw with an 18” bar.
In stock form, the 462 CM powerhead is only .4 lb. heavier than the 400CM. The 400 is a little smaller, but has slightly smaller fuel and oil tanks. The saw in post #5 on this thread is my sons..... By the time he got all the mods done to the 400, the cost wasn't much different than the 462, but the performance is impressive! He will most likely add a HO oil pump to provide a little more oil for the 28" bar. I think this would be a great saw with a 20 or 25" bar, and it handles the 28" well!
I have the 462 RCM with a 28" light bar, and would buy it again, rather than the 400 because I want the option to run a 32 or 36" bar in our Pacific NW Fir and Hemlock.
I'm also sure that my son considered that he has the option to barrow the 462 whenever he needs it!;)

Add an Echo 2511t for trail work, limbing, tight work. Then a Husqvarna 540i XP battery saw to keep in your vehicle. Then have all saws ported that aren't, one by one. All that'll keep you busy a while. Once completed, add a Husqvarna 395xp for big hardwoods and also because you get into milling. Then get it ported.

Back