Need suggestions - Want a 48” chainsaw mill

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jordan3605

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Looking to get a chainsaw mill , have had a MS880 waiting to get used.
Just took down a large pine down on my land .
36” at the butt. Have 13footers , we used he crane so was able to make 9 picks and chip he tops and brush to 14” wood
Who makes the best mill?
Where is the best place to buy?

I have the Granberg 56" mill, and I've been very happy with it. I was tempted to try some of the clones that were much cheaper and smaller, but ultimately I chose to go with the larger Granberg. It is more expensive, and there is a good wait right now. I think it took a month or so before I received mine.

A couple details for my setup, I went with a 56" forester bar for my MS661, and I built my own auxiliary oiler. I do want to add the winch and the rollers in the future, and will most likely be purchasing those soon.

With whatever you get, post pictures, and have fun!

Granberg is good, just don’t get old stock as they have had issues with the castings not being square and true. The newer ones are milled I think (end brackets) I had to shim and bend mine to get it right. So get the MKIV not the MKIII

Kinda hard to find a Grannerg 48 right now. Perhaps Covid related production issues. IDK.

get the Granberg if you can better metal and machining. If not, get a Hilzfforma. It will last You through milling this one tree. They aren’t bad but they don’t match Granberg quality and longevity. Granberg will honor their warranty. Never trust Chins to honor their warranty.

Back