Need to be Gettin' more out of my 390xp!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lucero

Rnnngg Rnnnnngggggggg
Reaction score
G'day lads

Been running around with a 390 for a while. Great saw for bucking the bigger stuff, happy with it.. Until I inherited a 461 MAG. Now that thing is a great bit of saw. Gutsy as.

I've had both the 390 and the 461 working side by side yesterday and the 390 really isn't noticibly head and shoulders above it, even with the additional 20ccs.

What the hell is going on here! I'm assuming the 390 needs some love.

Let's keep the stihl VS husk banter to a minimum, ey! :laugh:

You can look at condition of Fuel filter, air filter, spark plug and check coil gap. You could even check compression and any vacuum or pressure leaks. Is the carb adjusted correctly? many factors that can degrade your saw performance. Just need to go looking.

You're using a 36" completely buried in the wood on both?
Not at all, nothing completely buried. Just in pine 14".

The 390 is in perfect condition, both saws sharp chains etc etc only diff was the 390 pulling a 24" and the 461 pulling at 22"

I wasn't doing a full on comparison by any means but I did expect to see a pretty clear difference.

You can look at condition of Fuel filter, air filter, spark plug and check coil gap. You could even check compression and any vacuum or pressure leaks. Is the carb adjusted correctly? many factors that can degrade your saw performance. Just need to go looking.

The 390 is tip top condition, already had a look at those issues.. Hmm.

14"Pine....... with those two saws...... really?
Shove them bar deep into some 42"dead gum and see if you can get any noticeable difference.
Yes, really.
I came for advice, not riducule. If I already had the answers I wouldn't be posting in here mate.

Put an 8 or 9 pin rim on that 390xp and you will see a difference. A 372xp with 18 inch bar and chain will out cut them with an 8 pin in pine.
Thanks mate - if I recall correctly from reading, more pins are only useful up to a certain bar length. Would I be correct in that?

Thanks mate - if I recall correctly from reading, more pins are only useful up to a certain bar length. Would I be correct in that?
Yes you are correct, cutting 14" pine with a 390, I would expect my 562 will out cut it. Change to 24" red oak here running 28" bar and 390 will be the clear winner. Lengthen bar and run 7 pin.

Yes you are correct, cutting 14" pine with a 390, I would expect my 562 will out cut it. Change to 24" red oak here running 28" bar and 390 will be the clear winner. Lengthen bar and run 7 pin.
Too easy thanks lads

Latest posts

Back