Need to repower an old log splitter - please advise

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clydesdale6

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I have an old log splitter with a 2500 psi 5 inch bore ram with a 24 inch stroke. It has a 10 gallon fluid tank. It has a 10hp Kohler that no longer has compression and a 16gpm pump. I would like to repower it. I am considering the company www.splitez.com. I would think that the 9hp Honda gx270 kit for $890 may be the way to go. I don't think that I have enough of a fluid tank to run a 22gpm pump and the 13hp Honda. Any thoughts on this or suggestion to purchase something different or somewhere else? Thanks.

I have an old log splitter with a 2500 psi 5 inch bore ram with a 24 inch stroke. It has a 10 gallon fluid tank. It has a 10hp Kohler that no longer has compression and a 16gpm pump. I would like to repower it. I am considering the company www.splitez.com. I would think that the 9hp Honda gx270 kit for $890 may be the way to go. I don't think that I have enough of a fluid tank to run a 22gpm pump and the 13hp Honda. Any thoughts on this or suggestion to purchase something different or somewhere else? Thanks.
[/OTE]
The Honda GX series are great i have the 13 lasts forever.

You don’t have to buy a kit unless it total prices in your favor. Engines, couplings etc are all pretty generic from SurplusCenter, NortherTool, TSC, etc.
Depending on how much you replace, hoses, valve sizes, etc, you might just get this one running, sell it, and buy new anbd larger if that is what you want.

I would go with the HF Predator 13 HP engine regular price is around $370.00 but they run sales and coupons all the time. I have several of the Predator engines around the farm and haven't had one fail yet. If your happy with the speed of the 16 GPM pump and the five inch cylinder I would just put a new engine on and go. If it were me I would go to Surplus center and get a new 22 GPM pump and motor mount. Your ten gallon tank will probably be big enough unless you split in the heat of the summer then you may have to up size your tank.

I have thre 212cc Predator engine Non Hemi on my log splitter with 16GPH punp 4x24 cylinder.
Works great and with the 2 year extended warranty cost me $119.00.
works great and splits every thing I throw at it.

Al

I'll make a nonsensical suggestion when choosing a motor. A lot is said about it takes x amount of hp to pump x amount of oil. That is true, but my personal opinion is to go bigger on the hp than the suggested hpxflowxpsi numbers. My reasoning is just my opinion, so take it for what it is, an opinion. My reason is simple, a motor under heavy load will Burn more gas and run at higher temps than a engine at lesser load. Splitters that have the minimum size engine they can get by with will always loadup splitting the hard stuff. This loading up will reduce oil flow because the rpms of the motor will drop. With extra hp, the engine will not reduce rpms, or not so you can tell it, and burn less fuel because of the increased cyl speed. The bigger engine might burn more fuel per hr, but you will get more work done in that hour. I am not saying to put a 671detroit on a 11gpm pump setup, but if the minimum spec is 5hp, there is something to gain from going to a 6hp or even a 8hp engine. I have a 27hp kohler pulling a 28gpm 2stage pump. This combo is over kill, but I had the engine so I didn't have to look for one. The motor never boggs, even when I stall the cyl. It will work 5 men in the ground keeping the 5in cyl fed. If I ever have to replace the engine, I would not go with the 27hp, but I would want larger than the 16hp recommended size for my pump.

My predator 13hp(?) starts on first pull except when it's very cold outside. Machined very well. Came with a starter and haven't needed. I love the price and extended warranty.

Attachments

• 20190509_070543~2.jpg
    20190509_070543~2.jpg
    153.5 KB · Views: 21
It has been said on the carting forums the 212cc 6.5 predator is under rated as far as HP goes. there are those who say the dyno test done show it closer to 10 Hp than 6.5.
I know my motor doesn't slow down even when I have to bach the cylinder up for a second run at a really really twisted knot.

Starts evertime in a single pull or two.

I also have one on my chipper shreder super tomahawk and on a snow blower.

Al

Wow, I can't believe all the love for the HF engines. I like HF too, but never even considered them for this application. Sounds like I should put them in the running. I only thought of Kohler and Honda.

Wow, I can't believe all the love for the HF engines. I like HF too, but never even considered them for this application. Sounds like I should put them in the running. I only thought of Kohler and Honda.
I would have said the same thing 10 years ago or so when I bought a sprayer tender that had one on it for the water pump. It worked so well and still is working today. I have put them on a ton of equipment on the farm from pumps to buzz saws to air compressors to boom lifts they just work well. I haven't tried there newer two cylinder yet but when the need comes up I will own one.

I would have said the same thing 10 years ago or so when I bought a sprayer tender that had one on it for the water pump. It worked so well and still is working today. I have put them on a ton of equipment on the farm from pumps to buzz saws to air compressors to boom lifts they just work well. I haven't tried there newer two cylinder yet but when the need comes up I will own one.
I put the 670 v twin perdator on a garden tractor . A simpicity 7117 that had a triad Kohler ,while the 670 started ok when I got it . I see no reason to a choke a hot engine . I always have to work on a carborator . I got that fixed only had it one year .The 346 ran that for 8 years

I purchased the Predator 420cc engine. Can you guys tell me what I need to get this to work with the splitter that I have that is mentioned in the first post? Do I just need the flange or motor mount that goes between the pump and engine. Thanks.

ok. I call surplus center and they are looking for the shaft diameter and want that measured diagonally. They want the same measurement on the bolt circle on the pump. They also want the pilot diameter. I am hoping all of this will make sense when I tear into this in a few weeks. Thanks.

Around here you can buy 10 Hp Tecumseh Snow King engines rather cheaply from worn out 2-stage snow throwers. These engines usually outlast the thrower and have lots of life left. Remove the engine from the thrower and install it on your splitter.

Around here you can buy 10 Hp Tecumseh Snow King engines rather cheaply from worn out 2-stage snow throwers. These engines usually outlast the thrower and have lots of life left. Remove the engine from the thrower and install it on your splitter.
Most snow blowers do not have air filters, so you would need to add that somehow.

Latest posts

Back