Needed a reminder why i avoid old saws..

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RED-85-Z51

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
And i got it.

Got the Homelite 330 back on the bench, id already replaced the lines, boot, plug, rebuilt carb, and repaired a cracked inlet elbow well enough to verify function. Got it all bolted up, she fired right off, spent 10 minutes running it in, waiting for the oiler to prime...it ran great.

Then it shut off, no spark. Coil wire isnt grounding...coil appears completely dead.

It just doesnt end..one thing after the other...

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Since this is Arborist site I sort of would expect a good portion of those in that or similar business to buy a new chainsaw depreciate it or have their accountant do so and then quietly sell it for cash that does not count as income back to the company. Maybe can just count it as an expense the first year I don't know. I had a model 51 Husqvarna that had an iffy coil. I could take it off and hang it inside near a heat source similar to a wood stove, it would work for the next day but need the same treatment soon. I did get a new coil after a while.

Whats wrong with a challenge?
Or do you just like to coast through life?
I guess im used to working on Stihl, Husqvarna, echo...some macs, hell in 16 years this will be the first coil failure on easily hundreds of saws...but my 2nd ever Homelite.

I cleaned the coil...put it back on and gapped it .010"...now putting the covers and body back on...maybe it sparks, maybe not. Cant get a new coil today so why not.

Good saws. Kinda weird design though. I have two and they run great.
They are certainly unique. Its not that its a hard teardown...its just the getting the top on and around the tank then slipping the chamber plate forward...feels wrong

Started on 3rd pull...ran about 7 minutes, laid over and then died...no spark.

Bad coil...oh well.

And i got it.

Got the Homelite 330 back on the bench, id already replaced the lines, boot, plug, rebuilt carb, and repaired a cracked inlet elbow well enough to verify function. Got it all bolted up, she fired right off, spent 10 minutes running it in, waiting for the oiler to prime...it ran great.

Then it shut off, no spark. Coil wire isnt grounding...coil appears completely dead.

It just doesnt end..one thing after the other...

Yep, I know what you mean about fixing old saws... one thing after another.
This is a good reason I'm aiming towards a "unitized fleet" for my regular duty saws. Husqvarna and Stihl for the most part.
Sure, the old saws are fun to run for about an hour, then put them away and get some work done with modern saws... brand new modern saws if possible.
Looking to buy a 395XP soon.

Made a video, cold saw...i warmed it up about a minute before i revved on it. At the end it just...pffft

I have read that baking a coil can bring it back to life.
I am sure the info is on here somewhere if i was going to try it
I think that was mainly the blue Wico coils. This one is Phelon if that matters

Shocking...oiler doesn't work. I replaced all the hoses except the pump feed. I pulled that out and it was plugged up so i replaced the hoses and cleaned the pulse pump itself. Diaphragm is iffy...not stiff but maybe not pliable enough to pulse. But...back together, it doesn't prime up at all. May try to manually prime it at the hose

Sometimes filling the oil tank as much as possible helps to prime it. Side note, oem air filters are getting scarce and expensive $40 give or take. And make sure you have the thin grey spong gasket that goes under the top cover.

Sometimes filling the oil tank as much as possible helps to prime it. Side note, oem air filters are getting scarce and expensive $40 give or take. And make sure you have the thin grey spong gasket that goes under the top cover.
Ive got to get one of the gaskets, my filter is thankfully perfect. Trying to not dump alot more money in it until i know more about it

I redid a Mac timberbear that was a chore, and a Poulan 3400 Bow that went well enough. Both ended up being totally reliable, solid runners...

I don't know id ever trust this 330...

Back